Taking governor off

I have a 9 year old girl who will be riding a minibike,6.5hp with no governor. What will happen if I dont put proper springs in the engine and leave the stock ones in. She wont be beating on it, only puting around.

it's still a good idea to get the 18lb springs and a billet rod. it's only $70 for those parts. did you remove all the internal governor components as well?

if the rod lets go, it can come out of the top of the block with a lot of force.

Hey Strig, MinibikeLover is my 13yr.old son who justed joined OldMiniBikes. I have 2 clones that I'm taking off the governor internaly this week-end. He and my nine yr. old daughter don't rev around and actually putt around like he said. It's so much easier to hook-up the throttle assembly from "AffordableGoKarts" with the governor off. Internally and externally. If I was riding their bikes, obviously I would do the springs and rod etc.. etc.. The kids actually do "put around"! What's your take?

Together we stand-Divided we fall. Mini's forever!

the stock rod isn't really designed to handle anything over 3600rpm so it's a good idea to swap it out. if they keep the rpms fairly low it will most likely be ok, but i don't like to take a chance on that kind of stuff. i'd rather spend $60 on one than get hit by a chunk if it lets go.

after seeing my friend's flathead Tec let go at 5000+ rpm there's no way i'd want to have that happen under me.

the stock rod isn't really designed to handle anything over 3600rpm so it's a good idea to swap it out. if they keep the rpms fairly low it will most likely be ok, but i don't like to take a chance on that kind of stuff. i'd rather spend $60 on one than get hit by a chunk if it lets go.

after seeing my friend's flathead Tec let go at 5000+ rpm there's no way i'd want to have that happen under me.
what hapend to ur freind an were the rod land / hit

Thanks Strig. My idea behind taking it off is because putting on the throttle linkage there's no place for the governer springs. Every video or instructions like "AffordableGoKarts" shows the governor off when hooking up the linkage. Correct me if I'm wrong. Been there too! Together we stand-Divided we fall. Mini's forever!

Last edited:
Got it hooked-up. Left the governor on. They ride nice! One ARCO for my son and a "pink custom" Fox "Sprite" mini for my daughter!

Together we stand-Divided we fall. Mini's forever!

Did you have to disconnect the governor arm by using the AFK throttle linkage? If so it would be best just to go ahead and pull the side cover off and remove the internal governor parts. You don't want those pieces coming loose inside your motor

-Logan

If so it would be best just to go ahead and pull the side cover off and remove the internal governor parts. You don't want those pieces coming loose inside your motor

-Logan
definitely.

i left them in on my old 5.5 clone and the pieces ended up inside the case. get a billet rod too because the stock one isn't designed to go past the governed rpm. it's also a good idea to get some 18lb valve springs so you don't get valve float. it's only $8 + shipping for them.