Tec flywheel id

cfh

there was a late 1960s HS40 alloy flywheel that had starter teeth. i've never been able to figure out the part number for this flywheel. yours looks like that. and yes it works on an A/B/C series HS50 engine (i have it installed on one currently.) but i put it on a lathe and cut off the starter teeth. It's lighter than a 32517 flywheel, but still has a steel core.

kayde

My first thought was push mower except I can't say I've ever seen electric starters on this era push mowers.

The teeth on it are a bit boogered up but it does have a steel core and it registers perfectly with the key on a hs50.

There is one cast in mark that resembles a #2.

I know it's a long shot too ask what it fits, but figured with all the knowledge here someone might recognize it.

When I git around too it ima try it out on a points motor and stand way back and see what happens.

Attachments

cfh

it's from a snowblower HS40 from 1968/1969 era. but you are right, it goes right on an HS50 A/B/C series (pre-1980.) if you want to sell that flywheel (and heck the blower housing), please contact me. thanks!

kayde

it's from a snowblower HS40 from 1968/1969 era. but you are right, it goes right on an HS50 A/B/C series (pre-1980.) if you want to sell that flywheel (and heck the blower housing), please contact me. thanks!

I appreciate the knowledge you share, I can't say enough about the many subjects I've read and followed from you, awesome and thank you.

Hoping too use it on one of these.

Attachments

cfh

it will only work on A,B,C series of HS50 engines. that motor on the left is CDI, so it won't work on that. I can't tell enough from the other 3 to know if it will work on those...

kayde

it will only work on A,B,C series of HS50 engines. that motor on the left is CDI, so it won't work on that. I can't tell enough from the other 3 to know if it will work on those...
There is a few
77-79 5hp's here.
I fit it on a 78.
That cyclone on the left claimed it is a 5.5hp.
78-79 must've been a popular year for tec powered snow blowers.

Before asking here I giggled it and looks like there is one very similar to this one currently on ebay....it's not mine.

kayde

Hey guys
I have a question on a different flywheel and figured this thread is still worthy so.....

I took this flywheel off what I'm certain is the original hs50 from a thunderbolt 200mc.
This bike should have the lighted setup, unfortunately there is a regular coil mounted under it so I'm curious if this flywheel is all that's left of the oe.

Once again I see no part numbers on this one too identify it so I'm hoping someone might recognize it.

This a lighted flywheel?
Looks like it has 12 magnets in it.

Attachments

Yes, this is the lighted flywheel for an early HS50, and was made for only 3 years. 1972 - 1974. In 1975 Tecumseh transitioned to cast iron with plastic cooling fins and six 2-pole ceramic magnets. This is a hard flywheel to find. Part number is 33660. ;)

kayde

Thanks bobco.
Now i know thats one less part too buy.

This bike is gonna need the correct coil, guess I'm on the hunt

kayde

Po claimed it wasn't the original motor and that it's just another snow blower motor.
Quick look in person and I agreed with him

Now I'm on the hunt for the correct coil.

Where are the numbers at on a fly I don't see anything except tecumseh cast into it.

Attachments

markus

I think the short block is original to that bike and that flywheel (lighted 12v 3amp) 33660 came on it originally. The small #'d tag on the cylinder air deflector is the original engine numbers for the bike and reveal what parts came on it and setup originally if you were to research the parts lists associated with it. Throttle control is also correct for that year so there is a good chance it just got robbed of a bunch of parts for another bike and someone has tried to put it back together with random parts. that shroud is at least 16 years newer, so dont look at that part or numbers on it for any answers. pulling the TC driver off would be the big reveal. It will show a single (rear only) oil fill and should have a dipstick of course, with a large wide seal as it would be a ball bearing engine if it matches the number/id tag.

Many of the flywheels did not have the numbers cast into them, There is no mistaking that the flywheel you showed a few posts up is a first gen #33660

kayde

I think the short block is original to that bike and that flywheel (lighted 12v 3amp) 33660 came on it originally. The small #'d tag on the cylinder air deflector is the original engine numbers for the bike and reveal what parts came on it and setup originally if you were to research the parts lists associated with it. Throttle control is also correct for that year so there is a good chance it just got robbed of a bunch of parts for another bike and someone has tried to put it back together with random parts. that shroud is at least 16 years newer, so dont look at that part or numbers on it for any answers. pulling the TC driver off would be the big reveal. It will show a single (rear only) oil fill and should have a dipstick of course, with a large wide seal as it would be a ball bearing engine if it matches the number/id tag.

Many of the flywheels did not have the numbers cast into them, There is no mistaking that the flywheel you showed a few posts up is a first gen #33660

Thanks marcus, i thought i was either going blind or nuts trying too find cast numbers on tec flywheels.

Could anybody date the tag for me?

I figured the cyclone shroud was wrong,
but which shroud should it have?
A round top shroud or the square top.

You were correct on the oil dipstick so i pulled the driver off, sure looks like a bearing motor.

Attachments

markus

Thanks marcus, i thought i was either going blind or nuts trying too find cast numbers on tec flywheels.

Could anybody date the tag for me?

I figured the cyclone shroud was wrong,
but which shroud should it have?
A round top shroud or the square top.

You were correct on the oil dipstick so i pulled the driver off, sure looks like a bearing motor.

126th day of 1972, the little tags are date coded the same way as standard tags were at the time (they just had nowhere to put the tags on that style shroud) HS50's all had the squared to shrouds due to the thicker/larger flywheels.