tecumseh camshaft

hi everybody, has any one ever used a dyno cam 245 in a hs40? i just put one in and now the motor runs like crap. am i missing something here? do i need to advance the timing or something else? it has no low end, or power. Help.

wont the stock springs hold the valves ? the motor runs and sounds like the valves are opening to soon
lash .006

Last edited:
Yes stock springs should work fine up to a point but if it has no low end something is wrong it is a very mild cam. You may have to use a degree wheel and see how it is timed it may be off a tooth. Are you sure you have the dots lined up. and are you sure you have .006 on intake and exhaust? Does the motor have good compression when you are starting it?

did it run ok before the cam change? did you make any other changes besides the cam? If it ran OK before the cam with the tav then it is not the problem. That cam will add a small bit more power it is not wild enough to kill low end.

the motor does not seem to have a lot of compression when pulling on the recoil.
here are the cam specs intake, open:31 BTDC close, 70 BTDC lift:.244 C/L 110. exhaust, open 72 BBDC close 29 ATDC lift, .244. 110 BTCD.

Thank you ole4, what i did, and found out, was, i installed the cam and then checked the lash. it measured OK. i did not measure the lash after installing side cover, OPPPS! no lash found, zero, hence the easy pull. so a little work on the lifters, and now great compression. valve lash now at .007. will be running soon.

good news! just fired it up, runs great. thanks OND for the valve lash clue. thanks all for the help and suggestions. Ride on, be safe, enjoy. Woo-Hoo!

Last edited: