Tecumseh END!

Not sure if this has been covered recently or not but as of December 2008 Tecumseh has put an end to it!
Never producing an engine again! Kinda sucks for the tecumseh lovers but then again their engines will become a collectors item!
I have no idea what caused this. Could have been to financial problems or this crap for what we call an economy!
Stumbled over this on the internet trying to find info on a log splitter. Didnt get much info on it as it was a tiny article. Ill try to find more info.

DISCUSS!

Dear MBK....This topic was discussed on this form several months ago. The demise of Tecumseh was probably caused by shrinking profits; which was the result of a decline in sales. A decline in sales usually occurs when people shy away from your product in favor of one that is more reliable. Over the past 60 years or so I have owned quite a few Tecumseh motors and everyone has been a nightmare. They are a well built and strong motor but their carburetors are the biggest piece of shit that has ever been foisted on the American public. Just take a look at the engines forum. Almost all of the Tecumseh threads have to do with carburetor problems. If Tecumseh would have seen the light and switched from a bowl & float carburetor to a diaphragm carburetor, they may have been able to survive. And before some wiseguy writes back and says: "You don't like them just because you don't know how to repair them or make them run", let me tell you that I was began working on and repairing Tecumsehs and Clintons way back in the early 1950's...Ogy

delray

ogy,yes the tecumseh's carbs sometime can be a pain in butt. i could never understand why they had to make there carb set up so mechanical,linkage,throttle plates,intake,etc... and briggs had the diaphragm carb built on top of the tank with less mechanical parts to where out. still like look of a vintage minibike with a tecumseh front mount tank or with a factory minibike tank. rear tank on a briggs sometimes just does not look good on a minibike:doah: or worst won't fit because of the rear tank:doah:
to bad to see tecumseh go:sadcrying4:..............:scooter:

For a guy that tells people to go "back to school" in the engine forum, I find it funny he lets such an easy and reliable brand engine out smart him!

I have original engines from the late 60's that still run without any repairs! I had a Toro lawn mower that ran over 27 abusive years and still ran strong on the original parts! I finally had to put it down due to the mower deck rusting out and the cylinder was still PRESTINE even though it hardly ever got oil changes or tune ups.

I'm sorry but I have to call major horse pucky! Tecuseh went down because everyone is going chinese now.

Supposedly they moved their production line to Brazil a couple of years ago to make a better profit.:thefinger: Then right after that the U.S. dollar becamed badly devalued oversea's.:thumbdown: Tecumseh signed high priced loans for the move and because they had to set-up full production there. The dollar continued to tumble badly on the oversea's market. Then this global recession hit and they could not pay the creditors. I did a search on the web and talked to a broker with "Charles Schwab" a few months ago researching this. I guess that's the story I obtained when researching. Hard to feel sorry for Tecumseh especially when they moved out of the country!:thefinger:

Together we stand-Divided we fall. Mini's forever!

Gote...Read my post carefully...I said that The Tecumseh motors were a "well built and strong motor" and I agree with you they will run for years with very little upkeep. My point was that the carbs were a piece of shit especially when compared to the diaphragm carbs of the Briggs. Ninety nine percent of the time when a Tecumseh has a problem it has to do with the carb. That's why I won't give a Tecumseh or a Clinton motor the time of day. Why waste my time fiddling around with an outdated carb when I could be using a Briggs and enjoying my mini? And as far as me being outsmarted by a Tec. Quigley said it best. "Said I never had much use for them....Never said I didn't know how to fix them..Ogy

Supposedly they moved their production line to Brazil a couple of years ago to make a better profit.:thefinger: Then right after that the U.S. dollar becamed badly devalued oversea's.:thumbdown: Tecumseh signed high priced loans for the move and because they had to set-up full production there. The dollar continued to tumble badly on the oversea's market. Then this global recession hit and they could not pay the creditors. I did a search on the web and talked to a broker with "Charles Schwab" a few months ago researching this. I guess that's the story I obtained when researching. Hard to feel sorry for Tecumseh especially when they moved out of the country!:thefinger:

Make a "better profit" or try to ma *A* profit and survive. :eek:ut:

Gote...Read my post carefully...I said that The Tecumseh motors were a "well built and strong motor" and I agree with you they will run for years with very little upkeep. My point was that the carbs were a piece of shit especially when compared to the diaphragm carbs of the Briggs. Ninety nine percent of the time when a Tecumseh has a problem it has to do with the carb. That's why I won't give a Tecumseh or a Clinton motor the time of day. Why waste my time fiddling around with an outdated carb when I could be using a Briggs and enjoying my mini? And as far as me being outsmarted by a Tec. Quigley said it best. "Said I never had much use for them....Never said I didn't know how to fix them..Ogy
Just wanted to give you a wedgy. :thefinger: The carbs are fine if people wouldn't leave old gas in them.

I have to agree with ogy on this one. Their carbs are crap and I even went to the extreme and bought a new in the box carb and it was a pos. If tecumseh would have just kept making the diaphram carbs like they did in 1970 they would probably have had a better reputation. Their vintage engines on the other hand are spectacular engines...minus the carb :thumbsup:

I can't believe this is happening....I actually have people agreeing with me....This never happened before....I'm supposed to be a curmudgeon....Now my reputation is shot...Ogy

Ogy, I guess I'll have to agree with you on this subject!! I have a collection of about 10 Tecs in the garage, most without carbs, was thinking of scrapping them till I got the news a couple of months ago, I think they suck, too!!! It's not that I don't know how to make them run, either. I've gotten bikes with the pos, Tec motors on them, but usually pull the motor, in favor of the Briggs, some of the motors I have, have been a parts engines, in that if a bike I'm working on, is missing something, I'll rob it from the parts motors, now most of them are to the, short block. Like I said I was thinking of scrapping them, but with the news of Tec, folding, I'll hang on to them, and maybe list them later on as the weather gets better, maybe the old blocks will be worth something???
Fordman50, don't berate yourself, I used to swear by the good old Briggs and Stratton, still love to see them too, but I bought 2 of them, 6.5 clone engines, and installed them on 2 different bikes, both operated very well, and the power was just awsome!!! I really liked the placement for the kill switch, and thought that the in tank fuel gauge was neat, only had one time that one of the bikes failed to start,:confused: forgot to turn the gas valve on, lol, after I figured out it was off, it started right up:doah:
I think that what Tecumsa is going through is a sign of the times, and a good lesson learned, they were looking for the cheaper labor, to increase their profits, then bringing their motors over here to install on some of those higher priced lawn machines manufactured by Sears and others, then when their pos motor wouldn't run anymore, usually because of that tempermental carb, the unspecting customer would look at the catolog for a replacement motor, hmmmm let's see a 3.5 Tec starting at $350.00, now the question is do I buy a new motor, or a new machine??? Most of the time it was a new machine, us Americans sure are wastefull sometimes, but that was good for me, cause around these parts, I'll buy anything with a motor that don't run, I'll fix it and resell it, made a pretty good living from that in the past, and plan on it till I can't turn wrenches anymore.
I plan on buying more clones, and as time ticks, I'm sure I'll be getting into a tear down and rebuild of that clone motor, I'll evaluate the internal's of the motor at that time, but from what I see now so far, the China Clone is affordable, compatable, & reliable.
Now before anyone comes on here blasting me about, Made in America crap, as Tecumsa was doing, same as I, I'm looking for the better deal, their product I consider unreliable because of the carb, and electronics, Briggs, I love them, but as with Tec, they are very high priced, new! Therefore, why would I want to put a high priced motor on a minibike frame that I know someone is buying to beat the crap out of. If I ever do a show of any of my mini's where I want to stick to original, darned right, I'll put a vintage briggs on it, and give everyone a run for their money, but new, or, next to new sells, so when a China Clone fits and the bike is going to be for sale anyway, I'll stick a clone on it.
dave

Hey dave, excellent post! One more thing I would add! Is when these clones break down, there so cheap in price, instead looking up parts, ordering etc. etc..., for $99 buy another one! Problem solved cheaply and quickly! Oh YES! I'am rebuilding a Tec. #631921 carb right now!