tecumseh governor removal help

When you de-govern an hs40 by removing the governor arm all together, how does one run the throttle linkage? because that arm seems to be needed to push the flapper on the carb.

Thanks
Mike

I would just replace the SPRING that goes from the throttle arm to the arm on the side of the motor with LINKAGE.... so instead of the spring stretching, what happens is you get a direct pull on the arm... Easiest most effective way.. Easy to put back original too.. :thumbsup:

only problem is that when i got the motor, somone removed the entire arm. and plugged the hole with a bolt. so i guess i need to fab up a false arm, unless someone knows how to rig something else up?
I would ditch the motor but it is original hs40 tecumseh with lighting coil, and it has 80 psi on first pull and 100 psi on 2nd pull.

Last edited:
DAMNIT!!! That HS40 lighting coil and flywheel sold on Evilbay will BUY YOU a brand new engine and THEN some... I would look into fixing it right I think.. Or at least not blow it up... On my Briggs and Strattons I usually make like a piece of angle iron with two holes. one bolts to the motor via head bolt or whatever, then the cable holder goes through the other, then your cable to the throttle arm.. Many of the newer lawn mower motors use a little arm thing that bolts onto the intake VIA carb bolt, then run your cable through that... that works to.. You just need to find a place to rig up a bracket to hold your cable... I'd have a HARD TIME running that engine at all without a governor.. Jeeeeeez man that flywheel is an easy 100 bucks all day long... Maybe 150 175 on Evilbay without trying very hard...

DAMNIT!!! That HS40 lighting coil and flywheel sold on Evilbay will BUY YOU a brand new engine and THEN some...
That may also be an option.. I would way rather have a new motor than lights. $hite, the lights have all been stolen off the bike anyway. That, or I may look into getting all the governor linkage re-attached.
:smile:

sweet! call my cell phone if you want and we can work a deal..
eight five seven - five two six - six zero five nine!
call me after 8pm eastern time.
oh yeah..and "youre the man!"

Last edited:
If you're wanting to hot rod the bike around, I'd set the original engine aside and find a HS-50 to mess with. Thats what I'm going to do on my Hustler anyway.