Tecumseh H35?

I have the Original Tecumseh 3.5hp that can off the Murray Track 2. I would like to rebuild and make a sweet little street mini bike with it. I am wondering what sort of performance I can get out of it?

Looking to build a frame similar to this below.
IMG_0231.JPG

Parameters:
Street bike only
Looking for as much performance as possible without messing with the governor
Tires: probably looking at 6" diameter and a wider tire in the back

I am probably going to need help on choosing the rest. First street bike.

Last edited:
"Looking for speed..."
Better start thinking about what type of brake you are going to put on this crotch rocket to STOP it. (FYI: Don't even think about an Azusa Engineering drum brake- all they do is SLOW you down a bit! LOL
Michael

Would a mechanical disc brake work? I want to try to keep an old school look to the bike.

Looks like I might go with 8" Rims instead. Probably steel.

Since this is a ground up build. My plan was to strip the engine down and powder coat as many components as possible. Should I reuse the old the components if they are in good condition or rebuild it completely with new internals?

Last edited:
A disc brake would work fine, but it will take some good fabrication skills to fit it to the bike. Another option, if you are going to have a jack shaft is a band brake- they work well too. The easy way to go, and the best stopping power for your time and $$, would be a engine clutch band brake. While I can appreciate you wanting to stick to the "old school look", "old" is not necessarily the best way to go. (Think: scrub brakes). You opened by saying that you are going for SPEED. You want to be able to STOP the bike good as well...
Michael

Sounds good. I will be looking into a Clutch Band Brake.

You mentioned something about a jack Shaft what are the advantages of a having one? I was also thinking about installing a torque converter. So the clutch band brake wouldn't work. If the torque converter is not the way to go that is fine. Just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Never mind about the torque converter. I am going with a clutch.

Last edited: