Tecumseh OHH65 parts pictures and mods?

65ShelbyClone

I posted this topic on the 4cycle forums about a week ago with a less-than-stellar reaction. It was regarding a Craftsman 6.5hp chipper I got a few weeks ago with a clean Tec OHH65.

I was reading over there that the OHV Tecs are actually pretty fragile as these engines go. Some of the experienced builders mentioned that they need a lot of work to make them work, but nothing was real specific except about the the Flexy-Flier crankshafts and small crankcases. I was hoping someone had some pics they could post of the internal engine components....things like the chamber, ports, crankcase, piston, rod, valvetrain, cam, or whatever so I could get an idea of what I would be dealing with and what needs attention.

65ShelbyClone

No one?

I know enigma had one for sale on "that" forum a while back and I found the pictures, but they were just outside shots of the engine.

65ShelbyClone

Excellent! Thank you very much!

I pulled the OHH65 off of the chipper today only to find that it has a 1" shaft that tapers down to 7/8". I guess that's alright, at least it can be turned down to 3/4". More to come later....

65ShelbyClone

I pulled the head off today and it looks considerably different than that one. The chamber is a different, more open shape and the rocker "stud" pedestals are separate towers. The valves are tiny and the ports are horrible as well. No wonder Hondas are the engine of choice. :doah:

Last edited:
Honestly, the only thing that will look the same will be the outside of the block! Everything else has been modified to some extent, the head had the most mods, I made the mistake of selling the unfinshed billet flywheel....

a note on the rocker studs, if you plan to go very big on the cam they need to be heli coiled (1/4-28) or they WILL pull out

Last edited:

65ShelbyClone

Yeah, but I was noticing the actual casting differences. How old is the engine in the pictures you posted? Mine says it meets CARB 2006 standards, so it's probably no older than 2005.

Last edited:
Not for sure of exact age, but can guarantee it's older than 2006! The OHH 55-70 are all the same engine , I believe this was originally marketed as a 55