Tell me about my engine

phebus

Hi,
I would like to find out about my mini bike engine.
It is a briggs and Stratton. I don't know the HP, but it's pretty small.
Anyway, I have attached a photo with the numbers on it. If anyone can tell me what horsepower it is or what year it was made I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Tate

Hey Phebus

Its a 2.5 hp engine built in 61, and its on a Lil Indian minibike. Not the original engine for the minibike. But it could be the same style. It just depends on the year the minibike was made.

Josh

phebus

Thanks for the info! You've come to my rescue again.

I'm still trying to figure out the year of the lil indian.
The frame is stamped 51561. I guess it's possible that it's a date but haven't been able to confirm it. I did email Recleisure like you suggested but they haven't gotten back to me.

If it's a date as in may 15th 1961 then it is a pretty rare beast because according to the history they only made 200 of them that year.

It's probably just a serial number of some sort though.

Either way, it's not the original engine because that page said they used Clinton engines until about 1964.

Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Tate

Hey Tate

I have the same frame. If you look at the artical again youll see they didnt start making the spring on the fork, and disc brake untill 1965 . I have the stamp on mine to. 50946 then under it it has a 5 and a big space then 70. so im guessing 05/1970. Let me know what you find out.

Josh

phebus

That's interesting.
Mine doesn't have any numbers under the 51561.
That does appear to be a date on yours.
Wonder why mine doesn't have the second set of numbers?

Offy22

I'm getting ready to restore my Lil Indian. I bought it new as a kit in 1966 or 67 and never knew that it was serialized. I'm going to check mine this weekend for a number. It is exacatly the same as the picture except for the seat. Mine is more squared cornered with a kick-up in the back.