The Heald Supertryke STX-16 restoration thread

I just bought another Heald Supertryke a few weeks ago and thought I would start a thread to document restoration. Attached are pictures of how I got it and where it is currently.

Info:
Heald Supertryke - Serial 564 (1983 -1984)
16 HP Briggs Twin
Gearbox

The bench seat was added, but I got the original bucket with it. The previous owner installed new handlebars, which is why they are too long for a bucket seat tryke. These will be cut down. The sprockets have been changed and the frame was cut to make the fit (roughly). This resulted in the rear frame cracking in the middle. It is currently getting repaired by a local welding shop. Unfortunately, I didn't get good pictures of the before. I got a package from Ron Kimball today with a few items that I need. More to come!

Last edited:
I'm confused on whether this was an original bench or bucket seat. I got a bucket seat with it, but there were no footpeg brackets on the fork. Ron has sent me some. The only other difference I see is in the shifter lever. On my other all original STX with a bucket seat, the shifter handle faces the fender. On this tryke, it faces the seat. So, either the front fork was replaced or someone found a bucket for it.

Which was it? :confused:

Not sure bud with that kind I have seen them with bench seats like the ones from golf carts. but most i have seen had dump beds on it. I have an alsport. and it had a big fiber glass ferring when they came out. mine dont have it on it witch is fine I think I like it better without it. some one tried to trade me one like yours a while back ill see if i still have picks of it and see what seat it had on it

Thanks. I also have a bench seat tryke, but it does not have a gearbox, so I cannot compare the shifter lever position. Also, Ron said he cannot track original options by serial number, so no luck there. I think I'll put the bucket on and weld on the foot peg brackets. It would be nice to know what it was originally though.

Last edited:
Looks like a few of these Super Trykes are popping up . My brother and I picked up a couple a few months back .
AHA! You might have the answer. Can you post a picture of the gearbox and shift lever on the STX? I zoomed in on the picture you posted but can't tell what orientation the shifter lever is.

Also, hydraulic brakes. Cool!

Progress! The rear frame is finished. The rear tube has been replaced. The badly welded angle has been removed from the gearbox mount and replacement material welded in. It's ready for paint. Also, footpeg brackets have been welded to the front fork using the positions Ron Kimball sent me. Painting is about to start.

I also started on the axle. One side of the differential was a mess. Here's an old and new picture.

Last edited:
Looks like a few of these Super Trykes are popping up . My brother and I picked up a couple a few months back .
Thanks for the PM. I think I figured out why the shift lever is oriented differently from my other STX. This is a 16HP twin, which by default came with a tote rack and fuel tank. If the shift lever pointed towards the fender, it would hit the fuel tank.