The Lo-Buck Special comes together

Well, it took two years but it's together. A cash only, pay as you go project for the Grandkids. Took a little longer than I had planned, but still came out for around $300 (give or take)....and I can say I did it.
Here are a few pics.
First one is as it came home from the Flea Market where it cost $30. Pretty fugly, but showed potential.

Second one is after removing 18 coats of paint and some light sanding. Looking better, but also reveals some problems. The most obvious one is the front bumper is mangled. Both axle tubes are bent, one back and the other down. The spindle hangers are also knocked out of alignment.

Test fit for the Briggs which proved to be shot. I had planned to rebuild it, but the HF Clone presented itself in such a way I couldn't pass it up. The Briggs awaits a rebuild in the future.

Here's the finished project- not that any Kart is ever "Finished", already got some mods in mind.I took it to my buddy's shop and we replaced the bumper with a cut down one from a racing Kart. Replaced the axle tube and attached new spindle hangers along with installing new spindles. Mama did the seat. Lots of new small parts, tie rod ends, kill switch, tires & tubes and one 5" Manco wheel which was a bear to find at a decent price. Spray bomb paint came out pretty good and the material Mama used on the seat looks good.

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions or posted advice that I used!

Thanks!
Needs some fine tuning - a little toe-in and some accel. linkage adjustment along with a smaller steering wheel for adult use. Got some "Phase II" ideas for over the winter but I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Shunter

Very Nice, that came out Great.. :thumbsup: I've been looking for something like that to do with my son.. cant find them around these parts

Lo Buck update:
The Grandkids parents split, mama and kids are now several states away. As a result the Lo Buck Special has taken on a second life as Grandpa's Playtoy.
Governor out, flywheel and rod replaced, header/air filter swapped along with stronger springs, a pulse pump, remote tank and some different tires. Goes like hell but the scrub brakes ain't cuttin' it.
Over the winter the single wheel drive will probably go for a live axle and a disc brake. Got plenty of speed for a yard kart chassis, need to step up on the braking/handling, Stay tune for further updates!

bandit 40

That looks great!!:smile:..I wish I could find one like that for my daughter:no:....It does look totaly different.:thumbsup:...Oh man...old thread............:facepalm:

The last pic was taken today, I tagged it to the original thread to show how the Kart has evolved from the time I started the project.

TomH

Lo Buck update:
The Grandkids parents split, mama and kids are now several states away. As a result the Lo Buck Special has taken on a second life as Grandpa's Playtoy.
Governor out, flywheel and rod replaced, header/air filter swapped along with stronger springs, a pulse pump, remote tank and some different tires. Goes like hell but the scrub brakes ain't cuttin' it.
Over the winter the single wheel drive will probably go for a live axle and a disc brake. Got plenty of speed for a yard kart chassis, need to step up on the braking/handling, Stay tune for further updates!

Looks like the scrub brake ends needs to be flipped end for end. Probably too much work to do so, but it would give more braking control. The ends wouldn't be trying to dig into the tire. I think this would give more braking control...not stopping power. They look to be welded on in the pics though

Big Jim

SWEEET little Kart!!
What is the wheel base on that?
Seems all of the "kit" karts are at 42" sounds pretty short to me...

Wheelbase is 41", gets a little "darty" at speed.Talking w/an OldMiniBikes member about an upgrade on brakes, Lo-Buck v4.0 may be coming up.....

toomanytoys

Wheelbase is 41", gets a little "darty" at speed.Talking w/an OldMiniBikes member about an upgrade on brakes, Lo-Buck v4.0 may be coming up.....
Funny how these projects have the ability to get bigger and bigger.

My super bronc started out. Ok I am going to use the orginal motor, torque, and other parts.

Ok, These brake cables are ratty, throttle, eh..I'll order those.

Oh...look at this deal, new HM80, oooh new torque, oooh new tires, ooooohh these will be perfect.

Before I knew it I had 1200 dollars in it, including the bike.