Throttle Cable for a Drift Trike - need 100 inches but hard to find

Hey guys,

I'm scratching my head at how you guys do the throttle cable. I measured and need about 100 inches from the twist throttle all the way back to the engine. All the kits on amazon only come with a 30" or 50" length. When i buy a custom 100 inch cable, it doesn't have that threaded fitting that goes into the throttle twist thing. How do you guys do it?

Hey guys,

I'm scratching my head at how you guys do the throttle cable. I measured and need about 100 inches from the twist throttle all the way back to the engine. All the kits on amazon only come with a 30" or 50" length. When i buy a custom 100 inch cable, it doesn't have that threaded fitting that goes into the throttle twist thing. How do you guys do it?
You are not looking hard enough- they are all over the internet. Put some effort in and go to eBay and search using 100" throttle cable in the search box.
Another option: Call Flanders Cables in Duarte, CA 626-303-0700 and they can make you up whatever you need.
Michael

Last edited:

wjustice

I haven't seen any that come with the threaded adjuster for the twist handle. It should be slotted or you'll have to cut the unneeded end off to go through the connection to the throttle arm and just slide it through. 100" cable should be at any karting/minibike supply. Ive gotten then be for as you need them for the trikes. I have seen a 120" but it was a while ago and I dont remember where that was.

1690582852486.png

i found the cable, but it dosen't include the threaded thing. Are you saying that if i take this to a bicycle shop, they will be able to attach a new nub on the end of the cable?

You don't, "need" the threaded part. Many cables don't have them. Put the cable through the cable locator, (threaded part), and wrap it around the grip nylon, ensuring the ball it properly seated. Put the grip on the bar and run the cable the way you wish. Make sure the cable shroud is tight against the grip housing and the grip is in the full forward position. Run the cable to the throttle lever and make your final adjustments at the lever. Always pull the inner cable tight, while pushing the outer cable toward the grip and you'll be able to throttle perfectly.

You don't, "need" the threaded part. Many cables don't have them. Put the cable through the cable locator, (threaded part), and wrap it around the grip nylon, ensuring the ball it properly seated. Put the grip on the bar and run the cable the way you wish. Make sure the cable shroud is tight against the grip housing and the grip is in the full forward position. Run the cable to the throttle lever and make your final adjustments at the lever. Always pull the inner cable tight, while pushing the outer cable toward the grip and you'll be able to throttle perfectly.
Interesting. I didnt know that you didn't need the threaded part. I thought it was essential to making the throttle twist correctly. Thank you.

Interesting. I didnt know that you didn't need the threaded part. I thought it was essential to making the throttle twist correctly. Thank you.
The threaded portion of the throttle assembly does serve a purpose, obviously. But, if you pay a little attention to your install, it isn't necessary. The important part in clamping the outer case once you get everything else in place. If you push the outer shell into your throttle assembly, then clamp it tight, somewhere in line, the outer shell can't move. Do not misunderstand me. The threaded end does offer advantages. Is secures the entire cable assembly, prevents the outer cable shell from moving and protects against dirt and debris in the cable, to name a few. On the other hand, If you some of the advantages of securing your cable, by threading it in the throttle grip clamp, try a threaded adjuster. This will at least give you one of the advantages of the threaded end. You will have a fine tuning ability, to reduce or eliminate play in your throttle. 1691017820992.png