Tig welder with out pedal ... how does it work?

Its got a switch on the TIG torch that plugs in next to the TIG power and gas hose. Depressing the switch on the TIG torch causes the high frequency circuit to launch as well as the inverter output.

It could be modified to have a pedal: the current output knob and TIG torch switch would be extended to fit in a pedal.

Note the older Harbor Freight TIG machines are scratch start, which is a pain since it corrupts the tungsten with every start.

Note in arc welding mode, the Arc/TIG selector switch is flipped to Arc, so turning on the welder makes the stinger go hot, and the TIG torch switch contacts and high frequency are inactive. Interestingly, this could allow arc welding with the high frequency start...

I have an old, real old Miller 180P welder, running a Craftsman High Frequency converter, no buttons or anything, just get the tungsten close to the work and away you go. It's tough to learn, I was constantly sharpening the Tungsten until I got the hang of it.
I'd really like a new TiG welder but I have this and it works.

rugblaster

I have a fairly old Miller Syncrowave....it is a transformer machine with a pedal. Those scratch start machines are worthless. Tig is hard enough without complicating the matter with no high freq. start and no pedal. On youTube look up weldingtipsandtricks.com There is a guy named Jody on there that will teach you more than anyone I've ever seen.....and it's free. My friend down in Corpus Christi, TX bought a Everlast inverter machine that Jody recommended. They are much cheaper than a Miller, Lincoln, ESAB etc.

If I needed a new Tig, I probably would go with inverter machine.

rugblaster

I recently had the opportunity to weld with a new Eastwood TiG machine and I was very surprised at the quality and features of the machine. The price is affordable as well. http://www.eastwood.com/tig-welders-eastwood-tig-ac-dc-welder.html
Looks like a very affordable unit. When I bought mine 25 years ago or so, I bought my argon bottle (which I would recommend, don't put your name on it and just switch out bottles. That way you always have a certified bottle) the machine, different sizes of collets, tungstens, cups, back caps, filler rods and I bet I had 3 grand in it. There were no import inverter machines made at that time.

rugblaster

I recently had the opportunity to weld with a new Eastwood TiG machine and I was very surprised at the quality and features of the machine. The price is affordable as well. TIG Welder | TIG Welders | TIG Welding ? Eastwood TIG 200 AC/DC Welder
Looks like a very affordable unit. When I bought mine 25 years ago or so, I bought my argon bottle (which I would recommend, don't put your name on it and just switch out bottles. That way you always have a certified bottle) the machine, different sizes of collets, tungstens, cups, back caps, filler rods and I bet I had 3 grand in it. There were no import inverter machines made at that time.

You have to set the amperage before you start. If you are welding steel, a little exp. and you'll get it in short order. Alum is more difficult. I have used dc without hifreq and with. If you don't have any other option, practice with no hifreq before you do anything permanent.