Timing problem?

Hi guys. This one has me a little stumped. I have an Intek 6.5hp horizontal engine. When I got it, it would pop but not start. It sounded like timing to me so I pulled the engine open and checked the timing marks. The cam was 180 out. I put the cam back in the correct place and it does the same thing. This engine looks like new inside and out. I pulled it apart and checked the valves and springs. Everything looks like new. I have not pulled the flywheel off yet, that will be my next thing. This thing pulls like it should, with no obstructions, like I said, it looks like new. Any suggestions? Could I have the marks off on the timing? The cam is plastic and the lobs are plastic mounted on a steel shaft. The cam gear has a little square molded into it with a mark so I am hoping that, that is the timing mark. I appreciate any suggestions that you might have. Thanks.

I do not believe the cam on a one cylinder, flywheel magneto-fired engine can be installed 180 out, but I might be wrong.

I would certainly remove the flywheel and check the key.

Flywheel is what determines ignition timing. Check your flywheel key.
What they^^^^^ said. Very well could be sheared or "partially" sheared (bent), which WILL directly effect the timing. Also, make sure that the flywheel is torqued down properly using a good torque wrench to the proper (published) torque values. If it was too loose that could have caused the flywheel key to be damaged.
Michael

Last edited:
Check Your Fly Wheel Key and Replace your Spark Plug with a New Champion Spark Plug! Sometimes the engine will backfire and won't start because the spark plug was bad even though it looked new and I put a new plug in and it fired right up running smoothly.
Tom