to many tecumseh replacement carb threads

joshua. c.

Im getting a little sick of hearing about people junking perfectly good Tecumseh carbs for no reason and replacing them with stock type knockoffs and there seems to be so much discussion and knowledge about them but no one seems to know that much about the originals. from personal experience a properly cleaned and cared for Tecumseh carb will run nearly forever and have no bogs or dead spots. with very little maintenance. its all about setting it up for success. Ive had dozens of these stock carbs and no real issues . .

most of the issues people have about the Tecumseh carb not starting right or running inconsistently can be traced to improper tuning or dirt and grime in the carb. its almost always one of the two.

tips for a better running carb.

1. tanks collect dirt over there lifetime especially metal ones that can rust. it happens durring fuleing or when you open the tank to check the fule level. every time tiny bits of dirt get in. so Tecumseh always need fuel filters. they will always give you issues without one. most of the time dirt in the carb will make it run good one minute bad the next or just fully clog it up.

2. fuel congeals or drys out leaving residue behind over time so a fule shut off valve helps a lot. you dont want old fule to sit and congeel while its in the carb so when finished running shut the fuel off and let the bike idle an burn up whats left in the carb. this enshures fresh fuel to the carb apon re start. and thers left over gunk to clog the carb.

3. to prevent fuel from congealing over time add a fuel stabilizer. even for short stints of a few days to a week this will make a difference..

with these three tips and a properly tuned carb issues can be reduced to a minimum and the carb will run as good as any honda or preditor crab. i have engines that i haven't touched the carb on in over 3 years and they start and run perfect.

as far as tuning the carb always clean it first. tuning a dirty carb is useless, it will just fall right out of tune again. i wont go into detail with how to disassemble and clean a Tecumseh carb due to the difficulty of explaining it properly without a video to show what I'm doing. but i do have some pointers on tuning it afterwards. this only apply s to adjustable jet carbs seeing as fixed jet carbs don't need tuning just cleaning.

these tips apply to on a Tecumseh carbs on 2 - 5 horsepower engines

when tuneing the carb I always start with the high speed jet first. this is only because you need the high speed jet to be set right in order to get the low speed jet set properly so I start with the high speed first. ideally for a good running Tecumseh the engine shoold rev up freely without bogging doun and it should return to a nice idle afterward. but setting the high speed jet perfect then setting the engine to iddle perfect won't make the carb run right. it actually becomes to rich in the mid range and bogs. on these engines you need the high speed jet set perfect but idle jet needs to be set a bit lean to run right, it needs to be so lean it may seem to have issues idling at first and you use that little screw on the trottle plate to push the throttle plate open frurther at idle bringing the rpms back up to compensate. using this screw you should still be able to achieve a good idle.

I first set the high speed screw at the perfect spot where its running the best then i play with the idle screw revving the bike repeatedly until it revs smoothly without studdering. then i turn the screw on the throttle plate slowly opening it further until l get the desired idle.

I also have 1 good tip thet is off topic but can help most small engines have less spark problems , spray paint the magnet and coil. (it works) the coils and magnets on these engines rust and rust blocks the magnetic feld and suddenly you have no spark. so to prevent this remove the coil clean all the rust off it and the magnet then paint them both and after they are dry re assemble them properly with the proper gap and it will be years before you have another spark problem. (obviosly if your engine has points, dont dont paint them! points don't get paint!!)

joshua. c.

I forgot to mention if your engine has a flywheel brake ( mostly lawn mowers) you probably shouldn't paint the magnet. it might interfeer with the flywheel brake.

I just fired up my HS50 after installing a thinner flywheel and shroud.
It will start up fine on full choke but bogs and dies off choke. I could ride it for a short period after half choking it, but that would bog and die after a short time. Will not run with the choke off.
It’s a stock Tec HS50 carb from the 70s with adjustable jets. Was rebuilt over the summer. Air filter is new. Gas is fresh.

Can anyone give me some tuning pointers to get the bike running correctly?
I’ll try in the meantime to see if I can figure it out. I have a 22mm chikuni on the way, as I feel like a slide carb will be better for this bike but would like to get it running on this carb again.

Thanks

fhpe77

Im getting a little sick of hearing about people junking perfectly good Tecumseh carbs for no reason and replacing them with stock type knockoffs
Joshua,

I replaced my 2001 H35 stock carb with a Chinese knock-off because the stock carb had a leaky float, was gummed up, and needed a rebuild...and being a newer engine, the carb was a fixed jet type with no A/F adjustment screw. I really wanted an adjustable carb since this was for a mini bike application. I paid $16 for the adjustable knock-off carb delivered to my door. Figured if it was crap I'd only be out 16 bucks. Turns out it works pretty well. Is it the best quality?..no. Does it work?..yes. Who knows if there are rebuild kits for it?..who cares, I'll buy another $16 POS if necessary. This comes from a guy who tends to buy American even if it costs more. No foreign cars in my driveway. I would make an exception for a Ferrari, but that's different. :D In this particular instance I was able to get the adjustable carb I wanted for cheap. The stock carb is put away only so I can say that I still have the original carb but I never intend to use a non-adjustable carb on this engine again. Anyway, that was how I arrived at purchasing a knock-off carb.

-Ray

joshua. c.

my statement was more about people replacing a nos ajustable carb instead of rebuilding it. just because it wasnt running great, or had tuning issues, my aim was to provide tuning information that coold help people un familiar with the quirks of these carbs to have the option to solve these issues. instead lots of complaints about the nos carbs are about the tuning issues i mentioned. I wanted to re word my first paragraph a bit but to make that more clear but I couldn't find the edit option.

fhpe77

Joshua,

It's all good. I just wanted to point out my particular reason for trying a knock-off carb. It was simply to gain the adjustability that the stock carb lacked. I do appreciate the information you provided so please keep it coming. A nice photo-tutorial on rebuilding these carbs would be helpful. Details on how to remove the welch plug and reinstall a new one after cleaning could be useful to lots of folks. A tutorial might even get some people to attempt a rebuild instead of buying a knock-off carb.

-Ray

A nice photo-tutorial on rebuilding these carbs would be helpful. Details on how to remove the welch plug and reinstall a new one after cleaning could be useful to lots of folks. A tutorial might even get some people to attempt a rebuild instead of buying a knock-off carb.
-Ray
What would be the purpose of a "nice tutorial" Ray? Folks don't read the manuals, why would they read someone's opinion on the internet, half of which is inaccurate, or debatable opinion anyway?

There are several threads here on OldMiniBikes describing how to rebuild these carburetors, how to tune them, the problems with alcohol in pump gas, on and on.

Scroll up to my post in this thread and note the link. Everything you just requested is there. Why would you request a tutorial? Look at the link, and note the right side of the page. Even more information on identifying Tecumseh carburetors, a troubleshooting section, and even photos of what to look for.

I have found the Tecumseh carbs from the Czech Republic are pretty awesome....only $60-80....bolt and go....put one on my super bronc(not the build off one)....only minor adjustment to main jet....

Powered by Moyer has them listed on eBay....there are several others also...he’s middle range at $74 I think...I have an extra 631923 I purchased from them for an Hs50 for $64 and some change...it works great...

fhpe77

What would be the purpose of a "nice tutorial" Ray? Folks don't read the manuals, why would they read someone's opinion on the internet, half of which is inaccurate, or debatable opinion anyway?
Wow man, get up on the wrong side of the bed today? Joshua's response to my post seemed defensive. The purpose of my post was merely to point out that there may be valid reasons for replacing an original Tecumseh carb with a knock-off as opposed to rebuilding what you already have. That's all. My intent was not to put him on the defensive. That's the problem with these types of forums, they lack the ability to properly communicate with tone and body language. It's not the same as the spoken word, especially when spoken in person. Joshua seems know quite a bit about these carbs. Regarding the purpose of the proposed tutorial, I figured he probably has some useful tips and tricks to share, some of which may be new to me/us/the forum. You are right about the "nice tutorial". In this day and age it should be an "offensive, unkind tutorial". In fact, I can think of several directions I could go with that but it would just be misconstrued for the same reasons I mentioned above as hate and not the humor that I intended. :D Stupid emoji's. Did I use that emoji because I think I got the best of you with my reply or did I use it because I thought I was being humorous and wanted to communicate that to you? Actually it's the latter. Anyway, have a good day. I am certainly not trying to intentionally irritate you.

-Ray

Anyway, have a good day. I am certainly not trying to intentionally irritate you.

-Ray
You did not irritate me. Since you had the question on the welsh plug and other aspects of carburetor rebuild and tuning, I am sure you've already taken the time to read and digest the link from Tecumseh I posted.

Found instructions online
I will go through the carb again I’m sure everything will be fine prob just needs to be cleaned and adjusted.
Once I get it running good again I’ll pull it off and install it another engine.
This bike needs more throttle control IMHO with torque converter and more off-road, which slide carb will have.
The stock throttle setup would work better on my street only bike.

joshua. c.

im going to gomas swap meet next week if your there i could give you a full explanation in person on how to rebuild and clean the carb. i could even bring my tools and have you clean and tune it while i gude you threw it.