Tomos is fugly

This is one ugly project, of course not as ugly as some I've seen on here. And I apologize now, it's not a true mini bike, but it's a mini something or other, and I figure another project log is always interesting to look at....for some anyway. So I've decided to bring you along on the progress of where ever this project lands. I've bought a new seat already, it's on the way. The stupid fenders and side covering on ebay is well near 70 dollars for EACH piece. I guess someone knows they have some of the last remaining parts out there for this bike. The reason I say it's ugly, is because of the random rust, and bends, and kinks here and there. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to sand and paint this one, but I can't just leave it all nasty like this! I could, but I won't, you know. And the WELD FROM HELL. Good grief....I'll get to that with a subsequent post below... Enjoy.
The first pictures are straight after CraigsList in my garage.

Paint will make it look better right?

So first I decided all I would do was paint a few parts here and there, clean it up and flip it right away. After all, I paid only a buck and a quarter for it. someone is bound to buy it for $250 for their kid if it at least looks like it wasn't used in rodeos, crashing into iron fence and having bulls tear at it.
So I primed and painted a few parts...and well, it still looked like target practice.

Motor? 2 stroke? Que??

So, take it apart yeah? Yeah. Ok, let's start with the motor. I've never been inside a 2 stroke, but hey what have I got to lose. The motor is strong, i will say that. It gets going quick with my 220lbs riding. But the spring....and the weld from hell.....uh, that's coming....:confused:
By the way, has anyone figured out how to fit one of these motors on a mini bike?

Oh, and in the first two pictures, I'm wondering what the hell the last owner did in there. As you can see there is a thin shim/washer behind the crank bolt and one side is perfectly pressed flat against one of the facets of the bolt. almost looks like it came like that from factory, maybe did, again....what the hell do I know about 2 stroke?

In the carb

Never been inside one of these either. The float bowl was just about identical to some of the tecumseh's i've seen. not much difference in there.
And again, the last owner must have been in here with a ridiculously poor decision for a tool to poke around with. Note the scratches....:shrug:

Everything looked clean, after some carb cleaner. Jets all open.

So yeah...the shock and the WELD

So the guy told me when he was unloading this bike from his truck that the PREVIOUS owner, not him...was a big boy. This big boy apparently cut the mono shock from under the seat and fitted piece of metal for less "Sag". When the current owner, not me, the guy that was selling to me, bought it from big boy, he cut the metal and re-welded the shock. UGLY WELD UGLY WELD. I cringed when I saw that and wondered how the hell I was going to fix that back to normal.
After about 3 or 4 rides around the parking lot without incident, I started it up one day and decided to pick up the rear end to warm up the engine a little bit. Well I lifted the rear end...and it kept going up and up and up. Yes the awesome WELD broke. This is what prompted me to start breaking this bike down. And now here I am. So here is the weld. Guess I'll have to find someone to cut that nasty cross bar out of there and re-weld a new piece with a couple of eye hole brackets for the new shock.

Now, why would someone design something like this??:confused::eek:ut:
Ya mean the tabs that fold over to keep the bolts from backing out? That is an old trick that is still used today, simple but effective! And that is a relatively rare piece, and not ugly at all IMO! The wheels are awesome, I think the whole thing is super cool! Do it justice and if you change the color pick a good one!

Ya mean the tabs that fold over to keep the bolts from backing out? That is an old trick that is still used today, simple but effective! And that is a relatively rare piece, and not ugly at all IMO! The wheels are awesome, I think the whole thing is super cool! Do it justice and if you change the color pick a good one!
e

Well it all makes sense now. When I first saw the tab on the crank, I thought it was some freak accident that bent a shim perfectly! Once I saw this, I knew it was a design element from the factory. I guess I don't need to remove those parts anyway. Even though the pitch on the sprocket teeth is very sharp. Thanks! I'm about to clean up the wheels in just a second.

That was not easy

Holy mess of hell, that was some gunked on stuff. And it's still there in places. I had to be careful because there was already paint chips and the bare rim was exposed in several places. I did the best I could without really scrubbing too hard. Not like the Murray aluminum rims that looked brand new after water and soap!

Go away weld

Ok so I took to a guy who charged me $20 for all the following work.

Get the 'weld from hell' off the rear forks and fabricate and weld another set of tabs for the shock I thought I was going to have to buy. First for the de-ugly-ing of the horrible hack weld job.:hammer:

Filled Bend/Crack

There was a small bend/hairline crack/rust on the frame where the gas tank mounted. He filled it with weld and sanded. Just need to fill a few pits with epoxy before paint and shouldn't be too noticeable. Even though it will be under the tank.:thumbsup:

Shock discovered!

In my previous post i said, the shock i 'thought I was going to have to buy". Well, I didn't even bother removing the nasty tube from hell before this evening when I got back with the frame. I discovered the original shock, which I thought was ''rigged'', is actually intact! And for not having it with me when the guy was fabricating and welding the tabs, I got lucky and it fits near perfect. Will probably stand a couple of thin washers to shim it up.