torque converter spring

I have a comet 30 series torque converter and I was wondering if there are stiffer springs to be put in the driven unit to allow higher rpms? At the moment the revs stay fairly low, but i would like it to allow the motor to rev higher to get the most from it.

Any suggestions? I've thought about modifying it myself. Has anyone tried that and have some ideas?

Thanks

I never tried it myself but if its like mine there should be three holes by the spring to change spring tension. hole one is for the least tension and allows for lower rpm shifts, hole three provides the most tension and gives you higher rpm shifts which is supposed to be good for hilly terrain. and the #2 hole is the factory setting spring tension. like i said I never messed with it myself but would be intrested in how this changed performance for you if you do it. I got this info at 30 Series Comet Torque Converters for Go Karts & Mini Bikes and they go more in depth about it. more rpm between shifts might not get you higher engine rpm but you should accelerate faster, any way keep me posted

If it's reving low it's your engine not the TAV. You will need to fab up a spring that can change the shifting, but that's all.
When the TAV is in the transition change between the high gear ratio to the low gear ratio, depending on what type of spring is in the driven unit it controls at what rpm the transition changes, therefore making it impossible for the engine to rev higher until it reaches its lowest gear ratio.

I never tried it myself but if its like mine there should be three holes by the spring to change spring tension. hole one is for the least tension and allows for lower rpm shifts, hole three provides the most tension and gives you higher rpm shifts which is supposed to be good for hilly terrain. and the #2 hole is the factory setting spring tension. like i said I never messed with it myself but would be intrested in how this changed performance for you if you do it. I got this info at 30 Series Comet Torque Converters for Go Karts & Mini Bikes and they go more in depth about it. more rpm between shifts might not get you higher engine rpm but you should accelerate faster, any way keep me posted
I've adjusted the spring to the hole with the greatest spring tension. It did make a change, but nearly enough that I would like.

Thanks for the input

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
OK your talking about "Stall".

Making it rev higher "before" the driven engages. The way it was originally typed made me think you just didn't have any RPM.

You need a adjustable Salsbury TC. There basically the next step over the TAV.

Stronger driven and strong driver springs are available

Stronger in driver....higher rpm before the TC engages
Stronger in driven....the higher the RPM before the shift occurs

I have a stupid question.i use a centrifigul clutch now on my minibike now by all the talk in this it sounds like the torque converter has multiple gears?Does it?and i have a 6hp Tecumseh Powersports engine and i was wondering if it would easily install with no drilling and such.

It has infinite gears per se, It's basically a belt driven CVT, they have similiar things for many other applications. There is a high gear and a low gear ratio and any where in between those 2 points your gonna have a slightly different ratio. Check out the link below:

Howstuffworks "Pulley-based CVTs"

As far as easy to install, you would want to look into a TAV2 probably.