Tote Goat Question?

Does anyone know if they built any Goats out of galvanized <---- SPL? tubing?
From the few I have seen in photos they all seem a little differant, almost like one offs? My father just got one and it is all galvanized.. I find it hard to beleave they would have used it? We thought that maybe someone used a original Goat as a patteran and built a copy? The bike seems to "match up". and maybe is a real Tote Goat but it is all treated steel????????????

"If they used galvanized threaded pipe for their frame, I wouldn't want to ride unless someone strenghtened all the joints with Teflon tape... :scared:

When I was in the Navy we had the deck plates in the boiler room galvanized when we were in the repair yards.
we got tired of wire brushing the bare steel and having to oil them. Like Powder Coat metal galvanization is just a coating to retard rust.
Steve :scooter:

Motra

Do you have any pics? If it's a Tote Gote (brand) I could probably find out. I suppose they could have made some that way.

Oldsalt

Does anyone know if they built any Goats out of galvanized <---- SPL? tubing?
From the few I have seen in photos they all seem a little differant, almost like one offs? My father just got one and it is all galvanized.. I find it hard to beleave they would have used it? We thought that maybe someone used a original Goat as a patteran and built a copy? The bike seems to "match up". and maybe is a real Tote Goat but it is all treated steel????????????
I can't tell if your machine is in fact a Tote Gote and not a copy. However, I attached a couple of pics of a pair of machines...one is a gin-u-wine Tote, the other a [sorta] copy made at Key Equip. Co. when it was located in Milton-Freewater, OR. Now Known as Key Technology and is now located across the border in Walla Walla, WA. [Note that we really like them double names up here]. Key is now a world leader in 'machine vision' equipment. I was fooled when I bought the pair for 75 bucks thinking they were both Keys. But subsequent inspection showed that one was what was being copied. I know for a fact that my copy is a Key. It has been looked at by a guy, now retired, that helped make them in the back of the shop in Milton-Freewater many years ago. Also, when I worked at Key technology I looked up the drawings,old velums, and can also confirm it. The red machine in the pics is the Tote Gote, the Key is the cream colored one.

Is yours a Key rather than a Gote? The attached picture of the forks is the most telling. The Gote has 'oval' fork tubes, the key has round. Yours has round, if I'm looking at your picture correctly. Threads at the end of a upper frame tube? I diffinately wouldn't put that past Bill and Rex and Ski and the others when they were takeing a break from making pea viners and cleaners! Back then, before stainless steel became universal for food processing equipment galvanizing was rather common.

Yes his fork tubes are oval. That's one of the things we did notice. We also found the kick stand is identical as well.. He was hoping to find out if it was real or a copy. The bike is my fathers and he wants to inventory his bikes and parts. He doesn't know what all he has so he's going to stop buying and organize everything.