Tote Gote 671 barn find.

very nice. looks good even with the honda on there . Just curious whats the gear ratio of that shaft drive? hows the suspention work? are those bolts just snug and the snubbers flex a little?

Thanks Jeeep2003. This Nova 671 has a 10:1 gear ratio. She'll be pretty slow but I think I'll be able to push that plow with ease. The rubber snubbers are my suspension. They have a bolt for each side so they flex quite a bit. One of them broke and I had to drill all the way through and put a bolt all the way through too. So that side won't flex as much but all in all they really dampen the ride. Front shocks work really well too.

Here I am with the "original" motor from this bike. He had left it sitting in his shop with no progress, so I took it to get it finished up. :hammer:

Tecumseh H60-75083B. Of course that is one of the non-existent model numbers, which makes it more fun. :doah: This motor is only 50 model numbers off mine and uses almost all the same hard parts. Mine is H60-75133H.

Honed the cylinder, New standard rings give .030" gap. A little over the .020" max but it is what it is. :shrug:

Remachined the original valves, fresh 3 angle cut on the seats, new retainers. Lash at .005". :thumbsup:

Old rod had spun the bearing. I had the extra new rod from my H60 build for my Super Bronc, so in it went after polishing the journal. :wink:

Breather on, cleaned mount posts and then points plate on. Set the points gap and then timed it for .080". Put key in the keyway, then slid flywheel on and gave it some hand spins. Pop, pop, pop. We have spark! :grind:

Then I look for the starter cup and bellville washer. Hmmm. Not here. Must have missed picking that up. Onward. :freakout:

Flattened head on sandpaper on glass. Took some work to get it flat. Loosely put the head on, after cleaning the bolts, and put a new Autolite plug in it.

Grabbed the fuel pump and found a major issue. :001_9898: BTW, this is a mechanical fuel pump that runs off the intake lobe on the cam.

I probably spent an hour looking online for any info on that fuel pump and didn't find anything other that the best thing to do was make a flat blockoff plate and run a pulse pump. I don't play that homie...

Took the screws off, lifted the housing, and the main diaphragm looks fine, but the two check valves are hosed. The whole suction valve was no longer seated, and the discharge valve had it's diaphragm halfway into the main diaphragm chamber. I pulled it out and it looks like a potato chip instead of flat like it should be. I have it in my smooth vise with some pressure on it. Hopefully it will flatten out. I am betting that since it has been in that pump like that for untold years, it won't flatten out, but we will see. Cleaned out the suction valve and reseated it in the pump body. Pump should be ready to get closed up if that diaphragm will flatten out. I don't have any other rubber like it. approx 1/16"-3/32" thick with fiber reinforcement.

So while waiting for that diaphragm, I pulled out the brand new carb he bought. Generic :chinese: copy of an H60 carb. Hmmm. Where is the original one? Anyway linkage is now the question. There is one rod that matches my H60, but there are some other parts that don't look original.

So thats where we sit.

Does anyone have a diagram or pic of the carb linkage for an H60 in this gote? I have looked around tote-goat land and other sites, but I can't find a good closeup. I found ones for the Briggs, but not the Tec.

Also, this motor has a tag that says SBH-154A, besides the standard tag on the shroud. Is this a Tecumseh remanufactured engine? I did find a few parts breakdowns for the SBH-154A, but none of them show the fuel pump or the carb linkage.

Oh, and he painted the parts... Black block and head, then everything else in Hammerite Gold.... I so want to blast it off and paint it the white I found under the crud on some of the parts. I will get a pic soon.

Also Shooter... My wife just said you owe me for my time and the connecting rod in this. Sorry, no freebie. And since I have it.... Possession is 9/10s.....

Last edited:
It was mentioned that I may be trying to hook up throttle bypassing the governor. That is NOT the case. In fact the governor is hooked up, and is the only rod I am sure where it goes. The part I am having trouble with is the rest of the linkage.

Went down and picked up the starter cup and the original carb. Carb is identical to mine and is a Walbro. Parts of it are in better shape than mine, but the float bowl is almost rotted through... Good thing then that he bought a new one.

I have been trying to upload pics, but my phone is not cooperating...

We have pics. All assembled except for throttle linkage.

I was able to find some similar rubber and made a new diaphragm for the fuel pump. Dunno if it works yet though. Going to try to fire it up after posting these pics.

And now closer on the throttle linkage, or lack thereof.

And now a pic of my H60 with its throttle bracket.

As you can see, my H60 has the bracket bolted to the head and a small extension bolted to the governor arm. Both of those are missing from the gold motor. Is this what is supposed to be on the gold one also? No you can't have mine Shooter...

On my throttle bracket the cable comes in on the left, then it pulls on the lever at center. The spring hanging down would be attached to the carb throttle and then the rod from the carb throttle to the governor arm, so it still has control.

Is this Gote motor supposed to have a similar bracket and throttle setup to mine?

Belay my last. Shooter has the bracket and it is almost the same as mine.

Wish he would have answered my texts earlier...

Just tried the recoil and it won't engage. Hmmm.

Last edited:
The star wheel at the center of the recoil had no tension. fixed that and recoil works.

Pulled it over an few times and it has some strong compression. And yes the compression release is there. Eat your wheaties before pulling this one Shooter.

So a big shout out to Stangrcr1 for volunteering to put my H60 back together for me! It may have cost me a few bucks and two vintage motors and some carb parts but well worth the "volunteered" work. Thanks to Havasu Dave for the brake pointers too. A Tote Gote has been a long time want of mine ever since my Grandfather, who worked for the Forest Service in Montana, told me stories about my Dad "borrowing" the government issued Tote Gotes to chase wildlife. Can't wait to see the look on his face when he gets to ride this thing!

Bring it! Tomorrow! Its on!

And BTW, one of those "vintage" motors is in Dave's Gote with a lot of new internal parts. The other collects dust, but it has a nice shroud...

H60 funeral services.....

I am sad to report that the original Tecumseh H60 died. The motor will not start. Funeral service dates will be posted and a proper burial at sea will be taking place in the near future. :shrug::sad::sad::sad::no:

This is Shooter's way of seeking attention. I apparently haven't helped him enough by just building the motor at no charge except for parts....

Guess I have to do everything. Probably have to install it too...

You mentioned the forest service... Tote Gote made a special 'no foot-peg' model for the Forest Service. A couple of these have turned up. One is a F300 and the other is 'FS600'. They had a floorboard instead of footpegs. You can see where the rear footpeg perch is covered on the FS600.

You mentioned the forest service... Tote Gote made a special 'no foot-peg' model for the Forest Service. A couple of these have turned up. One is a F300 and the other is 'FS600'. They had a floorboard instead of footpegs. You can see where the rear footpeg perch is covered on the FS600.
Great old pics! Would love to find one of those.

After talking with Shooter, he is just getting frustrated trying to get it running. It has coughed a few times, but flooding easy. Think I fixed the fuel pump too well.