turbos? or all motor?

ive designed and done up turbo kits for cars... and i realized today i need a ddrag bike project... so i thought, why the **** not a turbo...

how many people have done it? and where can ya get a turbo thats small enough?

then ofcourse there is the thought of ALL MOTOR beast... josh will like this idea...

anyone wanna chime in on these two options? im looking for a decent budget, nothing CRAZY, but i dont think i can do this on $100 either haha

Last edited:
Hey Todd

First edit your post and add some *** in your f***.

There is a few members messing with the turbo idea. One guys got a video. Im sure they can help you with it.

Im not sure what would be cheaper all motor or turbo. But i like the way your thinking!

Josh

i know it will cost a good amount... it doesnt have to be CRAZY, just enough to scare the hell outta some people taht try ridin it...

i got noone to race here anyways

if i knew where i can get a small enough turbo, the rest is easy for me... stock car intercoolers (volvo, mitsu) are free, piping is easy enough to make, no b.o.v. needed really cause there are no gears and there is no way it builds up much boost... just need a piston/rod combo that can hold a lil boost... ported up head, etcetcetc... i guess probably all motor is cheaper, but turbo is CRAZY hahahah...it just would look NUTS

Hey Todd

It doesnt take much to scare people. I love the idea of some competition! We can definitely set up some races between each other. Ill even help build your engines! Now that would be fun!

I have some ideas about the engine to use. We can talk about it this weekend. If you can find the turbo cheep it would be cheaper going that route. Building a real fast engine costrs some money. But if you get the turbo cheep we can just use snow blower engines and if they blow we just replace it.

Josh

BIG ENGINES!!!!! I have a plan to one day use a big 440 Kawasaki 2 cycle 2 cylindar sled engine for a drag bike. Plenty of power and it was free. Hear that??? FREE. Woo Hoo!!!!

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
There is a couple of snowmobile power minibikes in the making out here. When ever they pop up I will get pictures.

I personally like to be naturally aspirated, and to run a lawn mower style engine.

65ShelbyClone

A small turbocharger is the hardest part to track down if you prefer not to shell out for a new one(usually $400+ for new). Garrett's lineup only goes down to the GT12 and even that is too big for most mini/mower engines. IHI, MHI, KKK, and Hitachi are some brands with turbos smaller than the GT12. The next hardest part will be getting the fueling sorted out. None of the small turbos (to my knowledge) will tolerate a draw-through carb, so the only options are blow-through or fuel injection. BrainDeadX scratch built his own EFI whereas Margaykart79 and I used MegaSquirt EFI kits. Motorcycle carbs are apparently rather easy to prep for blow through duty.

My suggestion for a dragbike is to use a large engine no matter what. If you decide to turbocharge it, it will make finding a turbo less difficult and the power gains will be better. I don't think it would be too hard to wring 100hp out of a v-twin. No telling how long it will last doing that, though.

Hey MDB, where are those pictures of the supercharged Briggs Vanguard dragbike?