Uncovered old Indian: What is it???

Trying to identify what year/model this old Indian Dirt bike is. Any help would be appreciated. See attached pictures. If need any other specifics, ask away!

IMG_3884.JPG IMG_3892.JPG IMG_3898.JPG IMG_3909.JPG

markus

Looks like an ME 74 to me. Indiandirtbikeparts.com has some pretty extensive info on the indian lineups on their site might want to check that out.

Thanks for your reply markus. Its a cool bike and I would like to know for sure what I got before I go wrenching on it. Just curious if its worth while to restore it or if its just a junker, I can make a custom rod out of it (love doing it).

Anyway to know for sure what it is? Any markings that can give definitive answers?

The serial number on the goose neck is 41-10147 (last number could be a 1).

I haven't found any markings on the engine yet, it's still a big ball of dirt...

I've tried to click through the gears on the tranny to see if its a 4 or 6 speed, hard to tell.

I've went through indiandirtbikeparts.com and can't find that one bullet point that says definitively that it's a ME/MX/SE (what do all of these abbreviations stand for?).

LOL, sorry for the brain bleeding on paper!

Thanks!

markus

The SE was a smaller frame, different tank, smaller wheels. The MX had no lights. the ME was lighted with the larger frame. If you look on the Indian site, there is a dealer sheet IIRC that shows the Vin number breakdown starting in like 1974/75 If it does not jive with any info there than that tells you it pre dates whenever that began at least.

Thats the best I can do for ya, only Indians I have worked with were the smaller italjet/indian 50cc bikes.

KB2ROCKET

I remember my dad was shopping for a ford pinto and they were selling these in the show room in the mid 70's I really wanted one but had no money