Valve Guide Question

Is it common for the briggs exhaust valves guides to ware out before the intake. Ive got Late 2 late 70's early 80's 5hp blocks that have exhaust valves with a little too much play from side to side. Is there a way to measure how much is too much play?

markus

Briggs has a tool/guide for that, you can find the part numbers and how to measure in the repair manual. I don't have one at this time, what I have been using on the 3hp blocks I have been going through is the pilot for my valve seat cutter tool. they have a very slight taper of like maybe .005" up the pilot, so I get an idea of just how whipped the guides are and go from there. the briggs tool is actually inexpensive, I just didn't have one onhand.

markus

So this got me off my lazy ass and I just ordered one of the guages off ebay. Its part number 19122:

They are available through various vendors both new and new old stock and the prices vary. I made an offer and got one for 9.50 shipped, but looks like about $11/12 is the norm on ebay.

Heres how you use it/quote from the manual (the visual in the book is helpful, cut end goes into the guide)

"Service 1/4” (6.40 mm) Valve Guides
Model Series 60000, 80000, 90000, 100000,
110000, 120000, 130000

If flat end of Valve Guide Plug Gauge, Tool #19122 (1),
can be inserted into valve guide a distance of 5/16”
(7.92 mm), Fig. 10, A, the valve guide is worn and
should be rebushed."

so...to my second question, I have 2 blocks now that look like there is a brass valve guide only on the exhaust port (130232 a 75' 5hp block w/ roller bearing on crank and a 130212 a 79' 5hp block w/ sleeve bearing)...is that normal?

markus

so...to my second question, I have 2 blocks now that look like there is a brass valve guide only on the exhaust port (130232 a 75' 5hp block w/ roller bearing on crank and a 130212 a 79' 5hp block w/ sleeve bearing)...is that normal?
If I get a chance I will dig out the boxes of 5hp's that are stored away and take a look at how they are setup. got some torn down and boxed and thats about it, Honestly I have never actually done a true rebuild to a 4 or 5hp briggs and scrapiron as of yet. Right now I am doing 3hp's and they are just drilled with no insert guides factory, I have to put some inserts in a couple of them and the insert looks like what you have in that photo once you ream, seat, and finish ream it. The manual shows a few different inserts in a chart but I wasn't paying too much attention to anything that didnt pertain to the three 80000 series engines that I am trying to get built up currently.

Well...I found the kit (B&S #19269) on ebay for $150 and some other site for $137 plus shipping. Or buy the parts separate: Pilot Bushing #19191 - $8.94, Counter bore Reamer #19064 - $34.38, Valve Bushing Driver #19367 - $7.20, Valve Guide Reamer #19066 - $19.14, 7mm Tap #19273 - $9.24 plus shipping ($89 total) from Jacks Small Engine Repair. I'll prob be ordering those.

Ok...so now I ordered the replacement valve guide (#63709). I removed the old bushing and went to tap in the new bushing...only when I slide the bushing in place to be tapped in...it just drops in the hole. Looking at the old and new bushings...the old one has a noticeably larger outer diameter. Thought this was a fluke...I had a second block with the same issue...the exact same scenario. The old ones appear to have an OD of 10/32 vs the new ones that have an OD of 9/32...seems weird 2 different blocks have the same issue. Do I not have the right bushing?
Blocks: 130212-0759 and 130232-0596

ValveGuides.jpg
New on Top, Old on Bottom
NewValveguide.jpg
New
OldValveGuide.jpg
Old

markus

Any grooves or markings on the outside of the one you pulled out? The chart in the book doesn't give measurements but There are a few different ones shown in the 1/4" ID size, maybe like the 231348 with the grooves looks and would have to be thicker in order to have the grooves cut in, but I dont see any OD info listed.

I just used the 63709 9/32" for the 3hp's I am working on because there were no inserts factory, I did one so far, went pretty well although the centering guide they offer really isn't precision feeling for cutting but it went fine. I finished it with a 3 angle cut on the valve seat afterward to make sure it all seats tight and straight.

IMG_1636.JPG

Is it common for the briggs exhaust valves guides to ware out before the intake. Ive got Late 2 late 70's early 80's 5hp blocks that have exhaust valves with a little too much play from side to side. Is there a way to measure how much is too much play?
We always felt the amount of play allowed was way too loose. We would wiggle it two directions and go by feel. Also of the guide to the valve cutter bottoms out it was too loose. We did a lot of valve jobs, maybe one in twenty we would do the guide. As a side, the Briggs guides fit in Tecumseh engines too.

Repair manual shows the short ones with single groove to be a match to #231348 Riekens racing site I posted above shows the measurements on them as follows:

"Part# '555155'
Valve Guide Bushing
0.250" ID x .310" OD x .750" Long
same as #231348"

Ok...ordered the 231348 guides....fingers crossed. Will let you know ho it goes.

markus

Ok...ordered the 231348 guides....fingers crossed. Will let you know ho it goes.
Definitely would like to hear how it works out, I never got a chance to pull out the 5hp's that need to get done to see whats in there with the three 80000 series I have opened up all over the place in the garage currently. I got all three of the exhaust guides bushed and the port work done this weekend between honey-do's and one block completely prepped. Into cutting the valve seats, truing mating surfaces, etc.. on the 2 other blocks and hope I have everything I need to at least get some short blocks assembled sometime this week before I start losing parts!!!!!

Got the 231348 valve guides....much better looking...prob install them this weekend. The ones on the right are the old ones...the ones in the middle are the 231348 and the ones on the Left are the 63709's.
NewAndOldValveGuides.jpg

Definitely would like to hear how it works out, I never got a chance to pull out the 5hp's that need to get done to see whats in there with the three 80000 series I have opened up all over the place in the garage currently. I got all three of the exhaust guides bushed and the port work done this weekend between honey-do's and one block completely prepped. Into cutting the valve seats, truing mating surfaces, etc.. on the 2 other blocks and hope I have everything I need to at least get some short blocks assembled sometime this week before I start losing parts!!!!!
The 231348 guides were a perfect match. Now I need to re-grind the valve seats after nicking them while I was smoothing out the eyebrows on the block.