Vintage briggs & stratton engine

I have a buddy that i was helping clean out his shed and i spotted this. Its a old school briggs, had to have it not sure exact year but it does have all the numbers on it. It is all complete and my buddy said it does run i just havent played with it yet. I will put the numbers up shortly so we can see how old she is. Thought i would share because i know members on here can appreciate an oldie like this.

Yup i have that same engine along with many other vintage briggs! mine doesn't have the ID plate on it so i cant really tell you the model, but its an oldie alright.

It is a 6s-model Type-701013 serial#-869611 I think modding out is correct about the shaft i didnt measure it but it does look smaller than 5/8. I have 4 or 5 diff engines im working on right now that will be good for minis or carts so i havent given this one too much attention yet.

here is some info i found on them.
The model 6S was manufactured from 1949 to 1957.
This engine used an L-head design.
It was equipped with an adjustable pneumatic governor.
The air cleaner on this engine is an efficient oil-bath type.
The type L, (vacu-jet) carburetor was used on this model.
The exhaust is aspirated through a 1/2" NPT threaded port.
Gas tank is mounted externally to the carburetor.
The oil sump and head are cast aluminum.
The engine block is made of cast iron and utilizes fins for air cooling.
Piston and connecting rod are made of aluminum alloy.
The crankshaft is counterweighted and drop forged.
Displacement: 6.28 cubic inches, 2.00" bore and 2.00" stroke.
Rated at 1.20 horsepower at 2200 rpm.
Rated at 1.48 horsepower at 2700 rpm.
Rated at 1.60 horsepower at 3200 rpm.
Operating speed range: 2200 to 3200 rpm.
Idle speed: 1750 rpm.
Lubrication: Pump or dipper type.
Ignition: High tension magneto.
Spark plug: 14mm - Champion J8 or equivalent.
Oil capacity : 1 pint.
Gas capacity: 1 quart.

what year is yours i have a 6S with a cool belt drive built on it its a 1952 i have it on you tube labeled briggs 6S with cool belt drive it runs like brand new had to clean the points to get spark started 1st pull when i tried it i also have a 1947 briggs wmb and a modelb all run great i see why briggs used to be king of small engine didnt even need to clean the carbs on any of them the tanks were super clean i guess because of the cork seals you would of never thought it by the outer appearance briggs rule i dont think the clones will run like that after 60 years quality of the metals just isnt there everything is made cheaper and lighter and the tree huggers want better emmisions i love old vintage engines everyone that knows me will tell you that

I havent narrowed down the year on mine yet but one that i found online looks similar is a 54. I havent ran mine yet but i did put a shot of starter fluid in it and she fired for a second and thats without any tinkering.

what year is yours i have a 6S with a cool belt drive built on it its a 1952 i have it on you tube labeled briggs 6S with cool belt drive it runs like brand new had to clean the points to get spark started 1st pull when i tried it i also have a 1947 briggs wmb and a modelb all run great i see why briggs used to be king of small engine didnt even need to clean the carbs on any of them the tanks were super clean i guess because of the cork seals you would of never thought it by the outer appearance briggs rule i dont think the clones will run like that after 60 years quality of the metals just isnt there everything is made cheaper and lighter and the tree huggers want better emmisions i love old vintage engines everyone that knows me will tell you that
:bowdown: haha exactly i mean look at the the piston and rods were aloyd witch prolly means they were made stronger the crank shaft is drop forged its a cast iron block with never gos bad and i just love these kinda engines so much i ent through a spell were i did nothing but surf you tube for vids of them briggs you know there tank mounted carbs amaze me there so simple yet they work unbelivably and barly any thing goes bad with them they even had oil pumps for good lube ahhh every thing was beter back then and es[ecialy with that clone haha id love to see a 100 year old clone that still enven has compresion haha

:bowdown: haha exactly i mean look at the the piston and rods were aloyd witch prolly means they were made stronger the crank shaft is drop forged its a cast iron block with never gos bad and i just love these kinda engines so much i ent through a spell were i did nothing but surf you tube for vids of them briggs you know there tank mounted carbs amaze me there so simple yet they work unbelivably and barly any thing goes bad with them they even had oil pumps for good lube ahhh every thing was beter back then and es[ecialy with that clone haha id love to see a 100 year old clone that still enven has compresion haha
Preach brother preach it! AMEN lol. I couldnt agree with you more.

You can tell how old a briggs is by the serial number. The first two numbers of the last series of numbers is the year ex: 3546 576938 6874635. The year would be a sixty eight.:weld:

You can tell how old a briggs is by the serial number. The first two numbers of the last series of numbers is the year ex: 3546 576938 6874635. The year would be a sixty eight.:weld:
yup you can also pull the dayh month and manufactuering plant num out of the
code as well say it was 6804051 1968 the 5th of april plant 1 i may have this a litle flip floped but i belive this is how it works in the model you cajn pull displacement lube bearing and starting so 10010 thats 10 cubic inches basic design series 0 with a bushing and rope start

Last edited: