We loved our Stellar mini bikes

Hi, I just found this forum and had to get on board. When I was a kid, mini bikes were the cool thing in my neighborhood. We lived mini bikes. My first mini was a Stellar Black Beauty. It had a 4hp tecumseh and front shocks(springs).I will dig up a picture I have of the bike under the Christmas tree. My friends had Stellars as well. There was the Red Baron, the Stellar chopper, and another that I can't remember.Down the street from our grade school there was a auto parts store that sold Stellars, and there was always a new one in the window for us the see.Man, I have so many stories. I am glad to be part of this forum.I also had a Suzuki Trail Hopper, Harley X90, and Honda XR75.

Stellar's were made out in Long Island. My buddy Rich Ludwig (the original Kustom Kart Kid) was a dealer for Stellar back in the 70's and has some great stories about buying/selling those bikes. Next time I see him I will get him to refresh my memory and post about it here....

member "Zeeman" just did a nice resto on one, but I'm not sure what model it is.:thumbsup:

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/strictly-us-vintage/44011-new-stellar-model.html

Last edited:
I am searching for that picture. It is the only one I have of the Stellar. One of my friends was always taking pictures, and he once mentioned to me that he had many from those days. I have to look him up. There must be some place where I can find info and images of catalogs on the Stellars. My next move is finding one to restore.

zeeman

Hey tripple K, thanks for the article. Did you post that lovely model (the female) in the girls on minibikes thread? I have not heard anything from the original poster.

Hello,

I realize this is an old post, but I am restoring a Black Beauty and would love to have photos for reference if possible. I actually am from Huntington L.I. myself. Any help is appreciated and once complete would be more than happy to send you photos or better yet let you take it for a ride. Blast from the past. The seat is my issue and rear brake caliper. otherwise have all parts.
Thanks, Greg D

kad1820@verizon.net

Last edited:

trinik7597

Johnny tillotson has a brake caliper but if I am not mistaken you need an expanding drum only 4" wheel bikes used the caliper .. And hit up either Manchester 1 she has a pattern for the stellar seat or not so mini for an original

I was wrong it does take a caliper !!!!
You weren't wrong Tim.

I've recently found that the Black Beauty could have possibly came with either type of brakes. Mine had the internal expanding on Limtco alloy wheels and if you look at the one color ad that is out there, it has the disc caliper.

And our resident Stellar guy Johnny Tillotson's Black Beauty

Mine is like Johnny's but was missing the wheels when I got it. It did have them but were separated when a restoration had begun and lost when it never happened.

You weren't wrong Tim.

I've recently found that the Black Beauty could have possibly came with either type of brakes. Mine had the internal expanding on Limtco alloy wheels and if you look at the one color ad that is out there, it has the disc caliper.

And our resident Stellar guy Johnny Tillotson's Black Beauty

Mine is like Johnny's but was missing the wheels when I got it. It did have them but were separated when a restoration had begun and lost when it never happened.
Yet this has the mount for the caliper. My other two BB's dont... I think they would make it up as they went along on the ol Stellar assembly line.

brown boonie

JUST REMEMBER-EXPECT IT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT!
I had manchester1 make me a seat for my stellar and it came out great. She does great work on all the other seats i have seen and the four she has made for me. If you don't find an original, check with her.

Thanks, I asked her but she did not have the template for the original and the one I got with the bike was wrong. I will keep trying. Appreciate the help. What a mission to find some parts. I found the original wheels and fenders but have the original sprocket for the Black Beauty. Looking for the caliper now, seat and kick stand. Then ready to start restoration.

Last edited: