What are My options

I am buying a Simplex Servi-Cycle and it doesnt have a motor.. the Briggs 5Hp flatheads seem to be the common replacement for the factory motor. I want to register it and put it on the road which means lights, and such.
Would you give some imput on what you would do. I would like to stick with Briggs. These are My needs:

I would like to buy a new motor between 5 Hp and 8Hp.. or pro-rebuilt
The motor needs to be able to power some accesories.. lights and such
I like the classic old style look not all covered up with plastic

Thanks for Your Help!

Here are a couple pics of the bike.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Sorry I should have said in the first post that Simplex motors are pretty hard to find and the Briggs Motor will act as a stand in until one can be found. Who knows I may find one before the frame is all re-done, but I would like to have a temporary Plan B.
Thanks Again

65ShelbyClone

I would like to buy a new motor....not all covered up with plastic
Those are mutually exclusive these days. If you want an engine that looks at home on the Servi-Cycle, you'll probably have to find something pre-1980s or try to make a newer engine look old.

It might look good with one of those old overhead valve briggs motors. Model FE maybe? Only problem is their only about 3/4 hp. I'm not real firmiliar with the really early briggs motors. Also I'm pretty sure thats not how to spell firmiliar...:doah:

Sorry I should have said in the first post that Simplex motors are pretty hard to find and the Briggs Motor will act as a stand in until one can be found. Who knows I may find one before the frame is all re-done, but I would like to have a temporary Plan B.
Thanks Again
I see enough room for a 3.5hp briggs maybe but there is actually more room in a Simplex sportsman minibike than the Servicycle. I say if you can fit a lighted coil engine into it with zero mods then go for it, if not you should put it up like you dont even have it till you can restore it with the correct engine. I have trailbike purpose made for racing that's far more rare than your Servicycle and wont touch it till I can do it right. I cleaned and preserved the tank and I'm done till the right buyer comes along or I'm at a place where I can see it through. I'm considering selling it because I realize I'm probably not the best custodian for such a rare and fine machine. No offense but IMO you are not the best custodian for yours, think of me what you will but I have said my piece.:thumbsup:

65ShelbyClone

I will throw in that one horsepower is equivalent to 746 watts, so even an engine below 5hp will power lights decent enough to use on public roads without hurting the useable power too much.

verry nice project!!my opinion is restore the bike first ,in the mean time while thats getting done u can have idea where to get the right engine and measurements for fitting. u can also see if a nice briggs 2.5 or 3.5hp modded with a nice chrome tail pipe would look and fit.:scooter: a dark blue metallic paint job with some shiny chome on those spoked rims.:thumbsup:

Last edited: