what are the disadvantages in running tav2?

The maintenance on them is slightly more intense than a simple chain, but the advantages far outweigh that one thing.
I can't really find a downside to mine, it completely transforms how the bike rides...in a good way lol
When I read the thread title, I was like....what disadvantages? Lol

Downsides are can cause accidental wheelies, and can load down a cammed engine if gear ratio is not right. Sometimes when replacing a clutch with a TQ when it shifts into high it will seem like motor is not revving, Usually need a gear change, which will make wheelie issue worse. The short wheelbase no suspension bikes are the most wheelie prone. I use mostly TQ's but have lengthened the swingarms on the worked clone engine bikes.

High frictional losses.

Two identical bikes one with a jack shaft and one with a TAV.
Off the line the TAV will be quicker but jackshaft bike will chase it down and pass.

Ratio is so important, application is important and tuning.

Most people are happy with a properly adjusted TAV system because of the wider selection of ratio it provides for general purpose driving.
Most drag bikes use a jack shaft or modified Sals 340 because they need something both stronger and more easily tuned for the track.

Downsides are can cause accidental wheelies, and can load down a cammed engine if gear ratio is not right. Sometimes when replacing a clutch with a TQ when it shifts into high it will seem like motor is not revving, Usually need a gear change, which will make wheelie issue worse. The short wheelbase no suspension bikes are the most wheelie prone. I use mostly TQ's but have lengthened the swingarms on the worked clone engine bikes.
smaller rear sprocket with the TQ?
I hve a 54 now. How small should I switch to? IYO

54 is small enough, unless the tire is large.

The standard TAVs are great for general riding. Racing is another story, like NOS mentioned.

High frictional losses.

Two identical bikes one with a jack shaft and one with a TAV.
Off the line the TAV will be quicker but jackshaft bike will chase it down and pass.

Ratio is so important, application is important and tuning.

Most people are happy with a properly adjusted TAV system because of the wider selection of ratio it provides for general purpose driving.
Most drag bikes use a jack shaft or modified Sals 340 because they need something both stronger and more easily tuned for the track.
we drag race(street) and make late night cannonball runs thru the city. Stoplight to stoplight mostly, or we zip around big parking lots. Not alot of sustained wide open throttle time. Some......but not alot....

I have both.

I prefer the TAV for just riding around, and occasionally getting on it. The jackshaft bike seems limited with a single ratio.

Sure, you can change the ratio on the jackshaft, but are you going to do it during a ride? The TAV does is automatically.

I'm new into this. I have a Doodlebug with a TAV and a Gilson with a Comet 2 speed. TAV works much nicer and smoother. Just gotta watch throttle at low speeds, you are gonna lift that front wheel.

I have mine on a 5hp tech with a pipe and filter, no governor in a Manco Streaker and with proper throttle control I can keep the front wheel down.
This bike is not for racing, I just ride it around and get on it occasionally.

OK.......Im fairly new to mini bikes as well, so nobody laugh at this(Ill know....) but is there even sanctioned mini bike racing out there? I can picture a drag racing class or two, but what else ? Mini Moto gt? Minicross? Mini trials?