What engine model is on this?

Hello there I hope your all feeling fine out there!! I know this is a 1972 scat cat sc 415. And I don’t have the recoil cover so Iam not sure what model this tecumseh is maybe a Hs 50 but I know not all hs50 have the same cover from what I see on eBay. So Iam hopeing some one out there has one that I can hook up with to ask them questions about this. i do have the original ad it came with a 5hp on it. it has a mag with small electric startor so i dont know if a regurlar fly wheel works on it or not. and did it have a voltage regulator on it or does it just run off the stator? Did find the original head light for it this week with key which I can’t believe it was out there. wish i had a manuel on it but cant find any thing on it yet. any one with info would be appreciated. thanks and stay healthy!!!! joe

Attachments

markus

It is an HS50 the easy "tell" is the intake. The engine is 1973-74 version due to the way the block is configured (which does mesh with the scat cat pretty good). those used the Later 70's thicker/heavier flywheels, HS50 actually had an aluminum version for the first 2 years but it got superseded to the steel flywheel with plastic fins just like the HS40 got when it changed to square shroud in 1974/75. Far as locating a lighted flywheel for that era....Its tough to do. And the spacers that are glued to the magnets on the steel 1974-1980 flywheels commonly come loose so you have to watch that they are all there if buying used, and a good idea make sure they are secured (re glue if necessary) before being put back into service.

Here is an example and why that 1975 Rupp I bought long time back had an engine that was "locked up"....wasn't the engine it was the loose spacers causing a bind.

It is important to note that you cannot use a lighted stator plate/magneto with a non lighted flywheel and vice versa. they are physically different sizes so they cannot be mixed as it will bind or will have way too much airgap and not fire the plug depending on which way you go/try. So in your senario you will need a lighted flywheel or change the stator out to a standard unit and standard flywheel if you can live without lights.

Good luck with it.

It is an HS50 the easy "tell" is the intake. The engine is 1973-74 version due to the way the block is configured (which does mesh with the scat cat pretty good). those used the Later 70's thicker/heavier flywheels, HS50 actually had an aluminum version for the first 2 years but it got superseded to the steel flywheel with plastic fins just like the HS40 got when it changed to square shroud in 1974/75. Far as locating a lighted flywheel for that era....Its tough to do. And the spacers that are glued to the magnets on the steel 1974-1980 flywheels commonly come loose so you have to watch that they are all there if buying used, and a good idea make sure they are secured (re glue if necessary) before being put back into service.

Here is an example and why that 1975 Rupp I bought long time back had an engine that was "locked up"....wasn't the engine it was the loose spacers causing a bind.

It is important to note that you cannot use a lighted stator plate/magneto with a non lighted flywheel and vice versa. they are physically different sizes so they cannot be mixed as it will bind or will have way too much airgap and not fire the plug depending on which way you go/try. So in your senario you will need a lighted flywheel or change the stator out to a standard unit and standard flywheel if you can live without lights.

Good luck with it.
Wow! You the man!!! I was hoping to find some one who had all that info. Makes all sense. Even though I was hoping not to here that sanarei. I know what your talking about the fly wheel is a tough one and if any one knows any thing about that reach into your deep pocket. May have to go to other mag and fly wheel and forget the elec power plant. Or waite for the mini bike GODS to give it up and send it my way???? To bad some one robed those parts or just left them lay in a barn under some hay And got taken to the scrap yard? Thanks so much for the info and stay healthy so you keep on working and riding the MINI!!!!!! Joe