What in the sam hill bobby?

Hello everyone. I recently picked this up and looking to get it tearing around the yard. I have no idea what it is, but quite possibly cobbled together.
I think this engine was originally gold and the frame was originally red
First off It's a sears engine 143.8200 Doing some homework brought me to this thread https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/tecumseh/72570-lauson-tecumseh-engine.html

It pretty much matches that engine. I have a hunch that this is closer to 2.5 hp as the bore of the carburetor is only .5" dia the inlet at the block is .8"

Anyway, anyone have any details or photos as to the one piece of throttle linkage missing? There is no linkage from the governor linkage to the throttle butterfly shaft. Some of the other Lausons I've seen have a second connection between the block and the carburetor. This throttle shaft does not go out the other side. I have one broken wire that kinda leads to the throttle butterfly but appears to run into other items of the throttle. The linkage is so fragile.

Also I have a problem with the brake. The inner shoe is broken. I'm measuring the diameter of the shoes 4.25" and the drum 4.375" Can I find a brake or shoes that will work for this with the original drum? there is a picture of the cast outside leaning up on the engine.

Google album here with two more photos

Thanks for your help,
Nate.

Attachments

Welcome to OldMiniBikes neighbor! Well kind of. You have a Terra Bike model 222. The engine wasn't original to the bike. Someone may be able to help you with the linkage you are looking for as well as a brake shoe.

Last edited:

markus

try the brake shoes for the early Honda bikes, Like the qa50 z50 etc... (they are all the same brake shoes on many models) Taiwan copied japans designs for those. I have used them in the past on the import mini bike brakes. sometimes you have to thin the pads down a little....I found that the case with the pads with the grooves cut in them.

Honda also used these on CT70's from 69-73 (and early 74) as well as 77-94 models. Honda used them on just about everything under 110cc. The same shoes were used on 1972 Arctic Cat Prowlers and Ramrods with wire wheels. They're interchangeable, cheap and incredibly prolific.

Off-brands like these "SOK" shoes are about $13 a set with springs and free shipping on ebay when you buy a double set. Genuine Honda OEM are $17 with springs at DRATV. You can save and buy just the shoes, but for another buck or two, I suggest always using fresh springs.

You all are awesome! Thanks much!

I also was able to get this old engine running yesterday w/o using any of the governor linkage too. Although since I'd like kids to drive this i'd like to get the governor working. I have one gasket to remake for the bowl where I need some thicker gasket stock.

Never even heard of Terra Bike before but they had quite the lineup, didn't they?

Good luck with your project looks like it's mostly there!

You got a bonafide, genuine Flying Waffle engine there, you lucky fella.

Tecumseh originally made those for heads of state and movie stars.

Today, even us regular Joe's can have them if you're lucky enough to find one.

It still has the original Tillotson E7A, or perhaps the E8A, on it. Shiver!

Welcome to the Club!

You got a bonafide, genuine Flying Waffle engine there, you lucky fella.

Tecumseh originally made those for heads of state and movie stars.

Today, even us regular Joe's can have them if you're lucky enough to find one.

It still has the original Tillotson E7A, or perhaps the E8A, on it. Shiver!

Welcome to the Club!
HAHA Flying waffle Helped a lot finding more info on it with your posts. Any chance you have a length and a picture of the missing link to aid on the governing of this? I made up a link and it appears to be working but it's a bit wobbly

The jetting is crazy on this. I'm about 1/16-1/8 turn out on the main jet. It was flooding like crazy with the more normal 1 to 1.5 turns out. The main jet is literally the bottom of the zinc bowl casting so I'm sure it's chewed up pretty good.

HAHA Flying waffle Helped a lot finding more info on it with your posts. Any chance you have a length and a picture of the missing link to aid on the governing of this? I made up a link and it appears to be working but it's a bit wobbly

The jetting is crazy on this. I'm about 1/16-1/8 turn out on the main jet. It was flooding like crazy with the more normal 1 to 1.5 turns out. The main jet is literally the bottom of the zinc bowl casting so I'm sure it's chewed up pretty good.
Yeah you need a wire link going from the gov lever on the engine to up about halfway to the throttle plate on the back of the carb. The throttle has a plate on the front of the carb and there is another on the back that controls it as well. I have in a Tecumseh master parts manual instructions on overhaul and runnin it. I will post a pic here when I can find it.

That's whats weird. There isn't a bellcrank on the side toward the engine like the IPL shows.
Picture 2 in this thread kinda shows the linkage.
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/what-is-it-/136631-tag-tecumseh.html maybe [MENTION=50599]mini one[/MENTION] could shed some light.

EDIT:
Mini one if you see this, any chance you still have the flying waffle? Any chance you can pop the sheet metal cover off and snap a pic and measure the length of the wire kinda shown through the slot from end to end. Thank you!

Last edited:
That's whats weird. There isn't a bellcrank on the side toward the engine like the IPL shows.
Picture 2 in this thread kinda shows the linkage.
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/what-is-it-/136631-tag-tecumseh.html maybe [MENTION=50599]mini one[/MENTION] could shed some light.

EDIT:
Mini one if you see this, any chance you still have the flying waffle? Any chance you can pop the sheet metal cover off and snap a pic and measure the length of the wire kinda shown through the slot from end to end. Thank you!
Well then screw the gov! Flying Waffles were meant to FLY! They can't be held back by conventional means like puny governor's. Yours probably spit the bit and jettisoned that rear bell crank on it's way to a victory over a Rupp Black Widow sans driver or something...

[MENTION=50599]mini one[/MENTION], you da man! I'm missing the spring on the top most governor link but that's typically to just take slop out of the linkage on things that run with a more constant speed.

The wire in pic 4 is what I'm looking for. It literally rubs on the fuel inlet housing; wow.

I made up a link there but it's straightish and I put a big U shape in it to adjust length like i've seen on some Techusmesh engines. It seems to be working, though but a little laggy but it could be some gunked up linkage under the blower housing.

I picked up brake shoes thanks to [MENTION=5969]markus[/MENTION] and [MENTION=29703]ArcticMinibike[/MENTION] 's suggestion, dropped right in. and found this great resource on brake shoes and diameters Brakes « Myrons Mopeds

[MENTION=50599]mini one[/MENTION] could you verify the picture? I really don't want you tearing all this super fragile wires apart.

Attachments

Last edited:
Gotcha, that picture was taken at an angle pointing downward so you could see the bends and you're correct it does rest against that inlet housing in a couple spots.
Since it was taken at an angle, the overall working length is actually 2 1/2" top linkage hole to bottom linkage hole. The first bend (at the fuel inlet housing is at 2" and then as you're looking straight on and it makes that left, down, forward and left again into that bottom linkage hole it only drops 1/2" .

Hope that makes sense, lol

It's good that you have the two linkage wires that run into the blower housing (one to the "wind vane" and one to the support rod and spring on the wind vane mount) since they are even harden to explain!

Let me know if you need anything else. I'll try to get a pic of "Tillotson" cast in the top of the carb housing as Johnny might like to see his last name on that part! :wink: When I get a chance I'll be measuring the bore to see what this one is. I was told it came off of a warehouse floor sweeper that didn't get used much and when it wouldn't start another little Tec was put on. (I got that one too...)
I guess that was back when it was ok to run engines indoors???

Last edited:
OK here's some pics, hope these help, it seems a little complicated.

Let me know which wire/linkage to measure and I can or do more pics, there's a lot going on in there, lol.
Oh this looks like an air vane gov. That's not what my Waffles have. I've got that small gov arm that's way down low on the case.