What is it?

Hounddog

So I just found another engine I had in a box in storage. Its an early Craftsman-Lauson-Tecumseh. I am trying to date code the engine but cannot find any reference to the Crafstsman Model#: 143.501251, and Serial#: 0231323. Does anyone know how to date this engine? It looks like my old Rupp Dart Cycle engine. Here are the pics....

Thanks, HD

Attachments

Hounddog

The guy I bought it from said it came off an old 1960's minibike. I am thinking early 60's. I am trying to locate a Craftsman to Lauson or Tecumseh Model and/serial number conversion guide. I had a similar looking motor on my 62' Dart Cycle....

As Karen said, most likely a 1960, note the spark plug location in the head and the shroud. I dont think it was a mini bike engine but rather a snowblower or other home/garden engine. These were common on that type equipment back then. I have a few of these.. Very cool engine!

Hounddog

Well I am trying to get the date of manufacture off of the Craftsman engine badge in the picture. Thank you all for your help.

markus

Its from a Sears Reel mower, It had a not real common starter on it called a "walk N Start" originally. I think that when you engaged the gear driven off the wheel it would wind the recoil up or something like that.

The engine is based off an H22K in Tecumseh numbers, but with some specific craftsman only used parts had a Phelon magneto ignition. I think they were around 1961. You cannot really pull a date code from engines with tag like that. They started to transition during 1962 to what is more commonly seen (where they are stamped sideways and longer) with an actual date code and were full on in 1963 someone on FB is on the hunt for something like that in the "vintage Tecumseh engines" if you are on there.

Its from a Sears Reel mower, It had a not real common starter on it called a "walk N Start" originally. I think that when you engaged the gear driven off the wheel it would wind the recoil up or something like that.

The engine is based off an H22K in Tecumseh numbers, but with some specific craf.
tsman only used parts had a Phelon magneto ignition. I think they were around 1961. You cannot really pull a date code from engines with tag like that. They started to transition during 1962 to what is more commonly seen (where they are stamped sideways and longer) with an actual date code and were full on in 1963 someone on FB is on the hunt for something like that in the "vintage Tecumseh engines" if you are on there.
Jeez Markus, you truly amaze me. You are a walking encyclopedia of mini bike minutiae. I wish I knew even half of what you may have forgotten, Nice job! Houndog sorry I don't to hijack your thread

Hounddog

Thank you Markus! You are a wealth of knowledge! the seller stated he took it off some old minibike.....wish he had that too...lol. I no longer have a correct roller to put it on. Not sure what to do with it. Thank you again Markus. Good to hear from you also SuperFlea. Merry Christmas to all!

joshua. c.

The guy Mike who runs the Windber mini bike reunion is looking for a motor with that carb for his dart cycle. I'd bet hed be interested in buying that for the right price. His shops number is posted in the events section under the windber thread, the invite form he posted has it.