What is this?

Greetings all,

Just thought I'd break my absence on this forum by seeing if any Tec gurus out there could help me to identify a little 2 Stroke Tecumseh/Lauson engine. I have never seen another like it!

It starts and runs but makes a bit of a racket on the inside - I suspect it will need a restoration but have no idea what engine to order parts for :shrug:

It has a diaphragm carb, and tecumseh cast into the flywheel and magneto cover. At a guess its an early to mid 60's engine.

If anyone can identify this, that would be great! I plan to make a Tom Thumb minibike frame and run it on that.

If its any help I can post the numbers on the aluminium tag hiding under the shroud. The output shaft is 5/8". Strange thing is, it is a Horizontal Shaft engine. The entire base is the muffler!

Thanks & Merry Christmas to all :thumbsup:

Jack.

Steve73

Lauson Power products 2 cycle engine used for go karts possibly. Found something similar on YouTube to what you have but not same. From the tag couldn’t quite make out how much oil to mix with the gas? Im sure some karting guys might know what ya have. :shrug:

Last edited:
Lauson Power products 2 cycle engine used for go karts possibly. Found something similar on YouTube to what you have but not same. From the tag couldn’t quite make out how much oil to mix with the gas? Im sure some karting guys might know what ya have. :shrug:
Awesome, thanks! I'll have to ask on a karting forum and see what I can find out.

Jack, I am going to guess that it's the PP47. You can verify it by checking bore and stroke. Link to numbers.

A few were used on early karts, etc but really lacked the power to be widely used. Yes, as Steve said they are two strokes, like a 16:1 mix, use a flat reed system, either a Tilly or a Lauson pumper carb.

If you decide to attempt a rebuild, I know a few PP/WB experts who may chime in. Also, if you posted with a heading of "Power Products Engine?" those guys would probably click on that post, not necessarily this one.