what is your favorite carb? mikuni/tillotson

cncd11

i am putting together a performance motor, billet rod, crank, dual bearing sleeved case, performance cam, performance head, 3 hp flywheel... which carb would be the best for my application i work in the motorcycle business and mikuni is the way to go and was wondering if it is the same for the flathead briggs motors. But reading alot of stuff online i see alot of people running the tillotson carb. so which do you guys prefer, mikuni or tillotson?

oh how big of carb in mm should i go with?

Last edited:
Well, I think most people here know what I prefer.:thumbsup:

I was talking to someone else who perfered Tillotsons over Mikunis.

He said Mikunis are good for motorcycles, but they are of a float type Carburetor.
The Fuel bounces around, creating air bubbles when turning fast corners and during off-road activity.

Tillotsons are of a Diaphragm Type Carburetor, All air is forced out of the Carburetor during the choke phase of engine starting.

I would say the biggest factor today is the price, There are only a few different non-tillotson diaphragm Carburetors available. Zama, Walbro, Lauson, they are not cheap.

Too many Mikuni Knock-offs to count. I bought one for $25 new on ebay. Haven't tested it yet becuase the mounting flange is like 1.900" Centered.

Motra

Typically a variable venturi carburetor like the Mikuni gives better throttle response than a fixed venturi carb does, that's why motorcycles use them. The advantages of a diaphragm type carb are that it's sealed and it operates the same at any angle. That's why they're used exclusively on all small handheld outdoor power equipment and personal watercraft. I'm sure the Tillotsons can be tuned to perform very well, a lot of the hi-po model 13 Briggs use them.

Tilly's are great carbs on Karts running at WOT most of the time, where you can easily "tune on the fly". I used to run one on a 5hp Briggs when I raced 4 strokes. The Mik is the only way to go on a mini. Much more forgiving to variations in engine, weather, altitude, load.... Pretty much tune it once and just ride it.