What the hell did I get myself into?

I'm a grown man, so why am I all of the sudden wanting to build a minibike?

I'm busy doing adult stuff all of the time. I work. Alot. I coach youth lacrosse. I go to the gym. I fish. I race. I've already got a garage FULL of actual motorcycles. I haven't owned a minibike in thirty five years. Why am I suddenly diverting time and funds towards something that I'm probably too big to ride?

Because one day last month, out of the blue, I thought I'd see if I could find an old Rupp like the one that I once had as a kid, and maybe fix it up as a pit bike, and maybe to entertain myself, my kids and my friends.

And then I went down an Internet rabbit hole, found out about Predators, clones and all kinds of other crap that I have no use for but all of the sudden want. Then my teenage kids got wind of it and started to push the idea. My wife caught wind of it and tried to put her foot down but it was too late for that.

Then a Ducar 212 ended up in my garage, and now a minibike that'll irritate the neighbors to no end will be inevitable, and parts will soon be arriving, once I figure out what I want and need.

Help me, OldMiniBikes. I've built bikes. I've built engines. I can spin a wrench, but all of this minibike stuff is new to me and I'm still learning the lingo. I'll post my build if you'll help me along the way. The internet isn't new to me, and I'm more than familiar with forums so I will use the search function before I ask a stupid question (sorry, forum search police) and I will take solid advice from those in the know.

This has all happened all of the sudden, so I've got a bit to learn but I'm not going to spend six months screwing around, I'm diving in.......so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Go search the forum projects section. I’m sure you will find lots of Rupp builds. Ask away as well I have built a Rupp predator powered but it is a 70 not theearlier ones.

Welcome Fttam : Oh yes desire is like a fishing lure you never know witch one will work. And here on OldMiniBikes we only use barbless hooks. But like you said it's got a hold of you and you might as well surrender and get all the enjoyment that you can. Hope you can fide all the information you need it is here. Happy New Year

Fttam, Similar story for me but I am about 4 months ahead of you. Just finished upgrading my CT200u-ex engine and adding front brakes. Waiting for the weather to improve to test drive it. Wife shakes her head in disappointment at me everyday and the neighbors think I am crazy. My son and I ride together so I have a partner in crime. I have to ask him to ride more than he asks me!

No idea what type of power I am putting down but the engine now has around 10:1 compression, ported/milled head, mikuni carb, black mamba jr cam, 37lb springs, upgraded valves and pushrods and of course arc flywheel and rod.

Fttam, The answer to your question lies in the second paragraph of your thread. Quote: "I thought I'd see if I could find an old Rupp like the one I once had as a kid and maybe fix it up". Just a word of caution though. I said the very same thing about a Fox Campus bike eleven years ago; and now I've got ten of them that I'm restoring. Good luck. Ogy

Welcome. This is a great site. Minibikes are fun and are easy to collect because they're so small. You'll also find yourself looking at rototillers and edgers and other old power equipment more than you ever did before as you're always watching for potential engine donors.