What's the best way to do this wireless internet setup?

I would be tempted to do this since you are already pulling cable. And the access port should allow wireless all across the backyard if it is installed in the attic over the attached garage.

Home Network Diagrams - Hybrid Ethernet Router with Wireless Access Point

Leave the wireless router where it is, just add the cable to the back of it out to the wireless access port in the attic over the garage. Just have to tell the laptop, etc which access point to use.

Really?

You want him to buy a 40$ cable (and he has 2 garages) without any access point as compared to a 100$ to 150$ fast router? perfect solution!
I agree we need more info and it might be that his router is old and spending $100+ on a new one would help. However, its not going to work miracles.

I'm just going by experience. I've been a computer network systems engineer for 20+ years. 100 feet in one direction through exterior walls and then into a steel shed and 75 feet in another direction to the garage through multiple walls and furniture..... It might function, but it won't be great unless you're using commercial grade equipment.

If the router is old, a new router might be good enough by itself, but it will have to be a high power one with multiple antennas, internal or external. Simplest solution, but $$$ unless he was wanting a new router anyway.

First step would definitely be to try moving the current router as close to a central point as possible and near an outside wall in the back of the house if that's where the shed is.

Install that free WiFi Analyzer metering app on your phone to help you find the ideal spot to maximize signal in all locations. It's not complicated to use.

If you still can't get enough signal, go to BB or WalMart and get a Netgear N750 router for $100, or more powerful make/model if you can afford it. Make sure you find out how long you have to return it for a refund. Install the new router and test again with the WiFi metering app. You'll probably see improvement.

If still not enough, take it back and put your money towards tried and true hard wire and extenders.

Bulk Cat5 wire at Lowe's or Home Depot is dirt cheap but you'd need the ends and termination tool. If your cable installer is running your line, give him a couple of beers and he'll probably take care of the cat5 ends. Or use a pre-made line. 100' cat5e Mediabridge brand (good) cable is only $13. That's probably cheaper than bulk and the ends are installed. You don't need cat6 for what you're doing.

You might find that you can move your current router close enough to the garage or shed to get acceptable signal to that location. Then you might get by only having to run wire to the other location and use one extender.

Really?

You want him to buy a 40$ cable (and he has 2 garages) without any access point as compared to a 100$ to 150$ fast router? perfect solution!
I agree, but the new router is no guaranteed solution. Its likely he'd spend $150 on a router and still end up running wires to at least one location. There's a difference between manufacturer's WiFi distance ratings and real world. The most expensive router BB sells will likely struggle to cover the area he has, given all the obstacles. Definitely worth trying first before digging, but keep the receipt. Wired extenders are a fast and reliable sure thing. Those, combined with the most archaic router, will beat an overstretched high dollar WiFi router all day long.

Here is a decent article on what you want to do. You want to add access points, not extenders, if you want to do any sort of media streaming. Extenders cut the speed due to flow control limitations as they are just WiFi repeaters.

As I said earlier, you can configure an old router as an access point IF it supports that function. Most new cheap routers can also be configured as AP's. Check before you buy.

Put the second router in AP mode, connect with cat5 to a port on your existing router, and place it in the remote location.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/79050.html

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

You don't need to run a hard line if you don't want to. Use a powerline ethernet adapter.

I have Comcast, and the wireless signal strength from the modem we rent is crap. I use this, and one of these.

It's definitely cheaper to just run a cable straight from your modem to wherever you want, but it sure can be a PITA.

I didn't want to fish through three levels of, and to the other side of my house to get a good signal in my basement, so I chose the powerline route. Works great. Haven't had a single issue. Now, the smart TV, PS3, Wii, and cable box down there all have hard lines... and WiFi strength is outstanding for all of the portables.

You don't need the 4-port Ethernet adapter like I got if you're just going to use it for a wireless router (router will have 4 ports)... I just did it for future expandability.

Sorry if I added info that was already in the thread, I only quickly jumped through it.

You don't need to run a hard line if you don't want to.....
Yes, powerline models work good for basic internet browsing, but not so great for heavy duty data loads and speed requirements like Netflix. You can spend extra for higher speed and capacity models. Definitely a speed vs convenience trade off.

i have one of these on top of 30' mast attached to one of my sheds.

ENS200EXT

it runs at +26dbm and covers an area of approx 1/4 x 1/2 mile
in my installation.

i don't bother with wires anymore. with wireless the antenna is
everything. the higher the antenna and the less junk around
means better coverage.

the coverage area is so large i run WEP to keep the summer time
neighbors out. not much beats being able to work on the boat
on those summer days. :thumbsup:

Yes, powerline models work good for basic internet browsing, but not so great for heavy duty data loads and speed requirements like Netflix. You can spend extra for higher speed and capacity models. Definitely a speed vs convenience trade off.
I use Netflix on both of my smart TV's, PS3, two Wii's, and two tablets. The only bandwidth issues I experience, are issues with Comcast directly.

It has it's strengths and weaknesses just like anything else, I suppose. It works well enough for me.

I just wanted to offer an easier solution to the OP than running cat5 cable (which, I agree will provide the best connection). For my needs though, and possibly the OP's, the convenience/inconvenience versus the differences in bandwidth are what to consider.

To each their own. Whatever INJUNTOM chooses, good luck to you, and I hope it all works out for you the way you like :)

The metal building is likely the problem rather than the 100 foot distance. Wire is cheap, reliable, and faster than wireless. Here is some inexpensive 5e cable that you could pull at least two lengths of. You can use the second run for a backup internet wire, or phone, or speakers, etc.

Amazon.com : New 500 ft bulk Cat5e Ethernet Cable / Wire UTP Pull Box 500ft Cat-5e Grey ~ VIVO : Computer Ethernet Cables : Computers & Accessories

Use the Amazon Prime Trial, if you don't have it already, to get free shipping.