Whats too small for a carb?

Hey all, just got handed down a mini chopper frame and purchased a decent craftsman tiller with a briggs 5hp flathead for power. The carb was completely useless as the previous owner tried to "fix" it and ruined every part possible, but I had a little 3hp engine around and just bolted up the one from that. Its the older pull choke type with only 1 mixture adjustment. The engine started right up and seems to rev quite nicely, but I'm nervous that such a small carb may hurt the engine by running too lean at high RPMs and ruining my fun. Is there a point where a carb is just too small, or if the engine is running happily, am I fine?

Additionally, after running for a minute or two, i checked the oil and found it to be frothy and white. I'm guessing its just becuase it had been sitting with the carb off, but could that be as sign of something else wrong internally? Thanks for the help...

Im no pro but the oil I would change,its probly water. The carb being smaller I would keep an eye or hand on how hot its getting while running for longer periods of time. If the pipe glows its not a good thing and shut it down and look for a used 5hp carb and and gas tank. Overheating and overrevving is just about the only way to kill a briggs and of course no oil. Maybe someone else on here verify this but maybe you could get a 5hp carb rebuild kit and use it to rebuild your 3hp carb with it and ok,there real cheap. Hope it helps ya

just put a 5hp jet in it. i have a 3.5 briggs slightly modified that has a 5hp jet in it and it runs fine. that is the only difference in the 3hp and 5hp carb, also the pick up tube on a 5hp is slightly longer.