Wheelies

Of all the trikes I have had. None of them had wheelied with me on them. Of course I am 5'11" and 330 pounds. But I beat the snot out of them. My buddy just finished putting together the Alsport TS series I found in the fall. He went with the original 2 chains and gears. Going to a torq-a-verter set up on a 6.5hp Harbor Freight clone. When I give it the gas it lifts the front wheel up. When I push back on the seat a little it will literally ride a wheelie. Or flip backward if I let it. He does have a wheelie bar he can and probably will put on it from his other one. Steve, is it due to the gearing or the double chain action? I may have to check my T-555 and go to a different gearing. His has more torque than mine and I can't have that...lol.... Randy
Pics before the rebuild.

Hi Randy : I say it's also a factor that the engine is set back so far and if that engine opens up that fast. What is the Torque Converters drive clutch does it have the stock spring ?
The only Tri Sport that I had that would pull an off the line wheelie was my TS-150 with the CCW 290 engine. What was not much fun was to be climbing a steep hill and have the power on and have the front wheel hit a big rock and that would pop the front end up and once or twice it went over on me. When the RTS came out in situations like that the full suspension would flex enough to absorb that torque and keep the wheels under control and the power on the ground.
You could install a sprocket hub on the jack shaft and have different sprockets to select from, but finding bolt on plate sprockets in 420 chain might be harder to do. Lower gearing is more fun more percentage of the time than top speed. This trike was a big time wheel popper and it was only a 1300CC Bug motor.
Steve :scooter:

wjustice

Just guessing at the gears that are on it, I would say the gearing is a big factor. A TAV with what 12 teeth to maybe a 36t and then 10t to 48t on the diff? Even with the big tires, that only going to give about a 20mph top speed. I'm sure the engine sitting soo far back helps too but combining those ratios with the TAV's ~2.7 start ratio is probably your answer. If my numbers are close, it has a 13 or 14:1 start ratio without the TAV and 35-36:1 with it. That is close to double what is normally used.

30 series with a stock spring. I will check the teeth on the gears. I will also have to make a video of it. It is a blast. If I can get the gps to give us the top speed as well. I will try to do that. Randy

Well that sure does pop right up good throttle response. what final gearing did you use ?
I got to freeze the shot of Tony's face when the trike did one wheelie and the big smile after the startled look. thanks for the nice look

Well that sure does pop right up good throttle response. what final gearing did you use ?
I got to freeze the shot of Tony's face when the trike did one wheelie and the big smile after the startled look. thanks for the nice look
He did look a bit concerned there for a moment. Good stuff, keep it coming!:thumbsup: Great thread!