Where to buy a Doodlebug?

I am considering buying a Baja Doodlebug. Where is a good place to get one cheap?

The only place I have seen them in San Antonio is Pep Boys ($250, when they have them...). I'm not sure if they still do it, but they were charging a mandatory $30 assembly fee.

Harbor Freight says they can order one for $325. Too expensive!

Who else sells them that might be available locally? I would consider mail order if the shipping is reasonable.

BTW, I am not an ebay user...

I have been watcing Craigslist for a used one, but no luck so far.

Slonaker

JTsmks

Tell pep-boys you want it in the crate and that you will not pay the assy fee. I insisted on that and it wasn't a problem.

You may have a hard time finding on through Pep Boys. The manager at one of them in Dallas told me that Pep Boys is no longer buying any new powersport vehicles because they aren't selling as expected. So, they are just selling what they have in stock.

I agree with the poster above. I would tell them that you'll take it in the crate and put it together yourself. If they won't let you, tell them you're going to call their main office and tell them about the jacked-up $30 mandatory fee.

If you're looking for a real old school mini, check this out:
vintage Evel Knievel Harley - Davidson 1970 mini bike chopper

Good luck!

I like that Evel Knievel one, but I already have one that doesn't run. :) I want to get the doodlebug for us to play with while I fix up the old one, then we'll have one for each of us.

No Joe's Sporting Goods here, unfortunately. I have never heard of it.

I guess if i want one from Pep Boys, I need to get it quick...

Slonaker

Last Thursday night, one of the local Pep Boys stores quoted me a price of $250, but said they were out of stock. Today they say they have 4, but want $300 for them. They also said they don't sell minibikes on Sundays.

They want a mandatory $30 assembly fee which they refused to budge on, and they want an $88 title fee from me. They insist that Doodlebugs have to be titled in Texas. The guy said he "might be able" to work with me on that one and let me title it myself.

WTF? This shouldn't be this difficult. No wonder they say they are having a hard time selling them...

Any other ideas for where they can be purchased in Texas?

Slonaker

$100-$150 on CL all the time, people buy them then quickly burn the cheap clutch, give up, then dump them cheap. I'd never buy a new one ($199 locally) when they can be had for $100

I agree with GTO
Although I bought mine new for 269.00 no title no fee and I assembled myself you will quickly do one or all of the following:
Replace sprocket with an 80tt
Replace motor with a 6.5 clone.
So if I were to do all over again I would try to find a used one and have some fun with it.

delray

how about a dicks sporting goods. on sale for 219 last winter.
maybe make a copy of the coupon or see if they will beat pep-boys price??:thumbsup:

or you can try it with checker? who knows maybe one of them will beat someone elses price?

Why bring another sad sack mini bike to life ? Why not adopt a great mini bike off Craigslist or e-bay, give an mini bike almost 90% made in America a new life with a Briggs or Tecumseh engine made in the USA and that way you can say you bought American.
Steve :scooter:

I don't think anyone will matcg a coupon that is only good for a date last year. :) I checked their website, and Dick's Sporting Goods just opened a couple of stores here in San Antonio. They don't list the Doodlebug on their website, but it wouldn't hurt to stop by a location and see if they have them

We don't have Checker Auto Parts in Texas.

I already have an American made minibike that I am trying to get the parts together for, but I want something to play with now. :) I don't know squat about minibikes, so getting the parts together for my old minibike will take time. My wife is getting the minibike bug, and wants one ASAP. I need to take advantage of her interest in it while I can :)

We don't have Tractor Supply in San Antonio. There are a few stores within 30 or 40 minutes of town. I checked their website already, and they don't list them, so I assumed they didn't sell them. It would be worth checking to see if they carry them in the stores. Thanks for the tip.

Slonaker

My wife is getting the minibike bug, and wants one ASAP. I need to take advantage of her interest in it while I can :)
I can totally understand!!! I told my wife I wanted to get a mini for my B-day fully expecting her to give me the "you're too old" argument. Instead, she thought it was a cool idea so I jumped on it ASAP! LOL!