White Knuckle Scramble 2014 - minibike & kart racing

I will be posting details, updates and so on as the year progresses, but everything is pretty much the same as last year.

Simple rules:
Vintage-looking minibikes and vintage karts only.
Your brakes and steering must work and pass a simple tech inspection.

Safety equipment:

Abbrasion-resistant jacket (such as denim or leather). The guys who didn't wear leather and crashed, regretted it though, so keep that in mind.

Long pants made of Abbrasion-resistant material (denim, leather, etc)

Gloves

Closed-toe shoes

FULL-FACE Helmet with a Snell 2005 or newer rating. IF you don't have one and can't borrow one, you can rent one from the track for $5

Neck brace. Again, if you don't have one, you can rent one for $5. They're about $20 new, so renting is a good option. :) I know they sound silly, but one of these saved a guy from an ambulance ride at last year's race.

Cost is LOWER this year! Not many events can say that! Last year it was $50 to race. This year it is $13 for a hot grid/track pass and $30 per vehicle. So, if you're only racing one minibike, it's $43 to race all day. If you're racing 2 minibikes or a minibike and a kart, it will be $13 + $30 + $30 = $73

Hotroded is coming all the way from NYC... but we recognize that he's crazy. :eek:ut: in a good way.

It is a lot of fun and provides a different set of challenges/thrills than a short drag race or oval track does.

FWIW, we're doing this just for fun. The little bit of money we get out of it barely covers expenses (advertising, ambulance, etc).

I'm in Michigan but probably 11-12 hrs from Toledo

we're about 8 hrs from the event.who knows might just show up :shrug: we'll see

Ed's Superclone race in NY will give you a pretty good racer's eye view of what racing is like at the Scramble. Different tracks, but same idea.

Someone needs to make Ed EARN his trophy this year.

i want to go to this. anyone going near western NC want to convoy? i plan on having 2 or 3 karts and just as many minis ready by then. and probably a pile of stuff to sell/trade!

yeah i would like to know if there are any rules and regulations about what can be put on the track beyond has to be built safely and functional brakes etc... motor restrictions? fuel restrictions? tires? i understand everything has to appear vintage, so does that mean only flatheads and 2 smokers? or can be modern engine made to appear old?

I ran a clone last year. I think its more rider ability. I may be speaking for myself, but its amateur racing so rider skill has more to do with it.

Vintage in appearance is key. Some companies make minis now based on original designs, so technically new, but look vintage. Dig? We're not terribly picky, but there is a line to be crossed. Like Cyndi Lauper, we just want to have fun.

We're not very restrictive about engines either. Clones are OK, but you can't drop in a motorcycle engine. We also do not allow transmissions. Keep it simple.

HotRodEd ran some sort of clone that he modified and pretty much cleaned up in every race. Hopefully that motivated others to build faster bikes for 2014.:biggrin: However, if you're really fast, we'll have to stick you in a separate class. We had single engine sidewinder karts that were lapping everyone in practice, so they got their own class even though there were only 4-5 of them. The same thing happened with dual engine karts and there were only 3 of them.

There are no fuel, tire, etc restrictions, but remember, you're on a minibike, not a Ducati. If the track officials think that you're having difficulty controlling your bike, or you can't control or stop it adequately, you may get pulled. Now, if you're planning on running something crazy in the drags, there may be more leeway for craziness, but you still have to demonstrate that you can stop and steer that much power. There's a guy that brings some really fast drag minibikes and is always a little disappointed at the lack of serious competition. :)

Last edited: