Woodward Fab 8" Throatless Shear

Hi all, new poster who just entered the 2013 build off. Since it's December, I can't work on my bike yet according to the rules, I've been gathering some tools in the shed for when January finally arrives.
Here is one of my favorite new tools that I bought, along with the mounting plate I bolted it to so that I don't have to drill holes all over my bench.

This is the Woodward Fab 8" Throatless shear, which has a capability, according to the manufacturer, of cutting 3/16" thk steel plate, or 1/4" thk aluminum plate, or cutting 3/8" steel rod. I paid $119 for it with free shipping to my door direct from the manufacturer:

I mounted the shear and a vice together on an 18"x18"x3/4" plywood board which has a 2x4 on one edge as shown below. I can rotate the vice and mount the board to the bench with c-clamps. Here, the shear is mounted in the ready to use position on the right corner of the bench...

Here's the first project I used the shear on... As an aside, I do not like the way c-clamps use a cross-sliding rod as the rod is slow to use and the rod always seems to be in the way. I usually remove the rod altogether using a hacksaw. Now when I use c-clamps I can quickly hand tighten or open the c-clamps most of the way, only using a Phillips screw driver through the hole at the last 1/2 turn... Instead of a hacksaw, I used the shear to remove the 1/4" dia. rod, no sweat, no shavings...

If I want to use the vice, I c-clamp the mounting board anywhere along the front of the benchtop with the 2x4 in front, like so...

Or I can rotate the vice on it's base to use the vice's anvil...

I've only had the shear for a few days, so this isn't an exhaustive review... I will be using it to make some odd-shaped brackets and the like for my build-off bike, and I will post more info about the ability to cut metal sheets and plates as time goes on.

Bikerscum

There was another thread about these here a while back.... every time I see one I want one.

Amazon has them for $103 shipped. (Generic brand, but the same tool).

I'm real curious if it'll actually cut 3/16" steel plate?

:grind:

That's a great question. I think it probably could pretty easily.

I do know I cut some .10" thick x 1.5" wide x 36" long galvanized steel (from Lowe's) and it sheared through that stuff across the 1.5" dimension with one hand, and the cuts were very clean. I was also able to nibble away at the corners of the square cut, rounding off the end of the bar - akin to making a .10" thick x 1" dia. washer - I'm extremely pleased with this particular tool.
I especially like the fact that I don't have to drag out a powered saw or mess with the hacksaw to cut the material, and, it quiet to boot!
I'll see if I have some 3/16" thick stock laying around at work that I could cut for a demo.
drb-

Last edited:
Thanks for the re-post Jeep2003, looks like we both have come to same conclusion independently. I am surprised that such a little shear can do so much - best bang for the buck I've spent in a while.

Let's see if Bikerscum comes to the same conclusion...

Bikerscum

The shear arrived today... 3 day shipping from Grizzly, I was very surprised.

Won't have time to mount it 'til the weekend, but a few observations...

It's a lot more rigid & substantial in person than it looks in pics. It's heavy & tight. What look like welded on sheetmetal feet on the bottom are actually part of the casting. I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality.

I tried some 3/16 rod in the hole & it went thru it like butter.

<-------------------------------- 3/16 sheet :001_tt2:

More later.

:grind: :grind:

Bikerscum

Well, I don't even have the 8" mounted yet & now this

lol... Amazon saw me poking around there looking at shears. They sent me some junk mail including this from their discount warehouse...

12 inch shear "used"

95 bux, & free 2 day shipping if you have Amazon Prime which I do. So I bit.

Says in original box, cosmetic damage to packaging, used, good.... we'll see.

That's a BIG savings over normal price + shipping. The 12" is 60 pounds... free 2 day shipping is insane.

I'll let y'all know how it workz out.

Bikerscum

The 12 incher came today. Still busy with holiday stuff so no mounting yet. I did clamp it on a table at work and cut a few things. 3/16... I wouldn't even try. Handled 1/8" ok. Cut a 3/8" A2 tool steel rod no problem.

I'll have more to report later, but wanted to let y'all know the 12" from Amazon in my link above is a good deal. It comes in a really damaged box, with some minor scratches from the base rubbing against the handle, but functionally brand new. Still has the packing grease on it. At $95 with free 2 day shipping you wont find a better deal.

More when I get caught up a bit on things.

Bikerscum

Finally got around to mounting & using this thing a bit today. A few thoughts...

As I said above, the 12" arrived with a pretty damaged box, packing missing, and the box open...

The handle was scratched up a little, but the item was new/unused.

The 12" is not just longer than the 8", it's a lot more heavy duty. The bolts are bigger, the linkage thicker, etc.

Something to judge size by...

The 12" has about an 8" longer handle too which helps a lot.

The 8" is fine but if you can get the Amazon deal I listed above definitely go for the 12.

I didn't try to cut any 3/16 thick steel, it seems like it would be a struggle. I did cut some 8" wide .125 thick steel & it handled it fine. It does need to be mounted on something heavy & solid, it wants to lift my whole workbench up when cutting the thick stuff.

I also cut some .375 diameter A2 tool steel... again, no problem.

One thing that's not apparent when watching the u-tube videos etc. is that the "cut off" part of thicker sheet metal will get bent/twisted. The sheet metal on the left of the blade is supported by the blade & will stay straight & flat. The "cut" portion has nothing underneath it, and will conform to the curved top blade. Thinner stuff seems to spring back & not be a problem.

You can't, say, cut a 24" long strip into 2 12" long halfs without one half being a bit bent.

All in all money well spent I think, I'm sure happy with it. Again, go for the bigger one for the same price if it's still available.

Have used a shear like this to cut 3/16 plate, will distort the the material somewhat when cutting. Do not recommend mounting it on a bench if you plan on cutting anything thick. Bolt it to a heavy piece of lumber and lay it on the floor. You can use your body weight to add leverage when cutting.