First build, the "Jimmy Gote"

One thing I noticed riding it around the block. It make more noise now. I used 24 gauge sheet metal for inner fenders on the rear. I think it is "oil canning", causing the noise. Thinking of spraying it with under coating to damper the sound, or just replace with ABS plastic.

Went in today to get title and plates. Seems the inspector put wrong numbers on the paper work. They want me to wait for him to come to town next time, (every two weeks) and let him fix it. Talked to a nice lady and explained I was leaving Tuesday on a hunt and really wanted to use the bike then. She took copies of everything, looked at the bike and said she would try to take care of it tomorrow. Of course tomorrow I go to PHX (90 miles away) to get steroid shots in my back,,, great fun, so hopefully I get back in time see what she came up with. Running out of time,,,the hunt awaits!

Too bad really the government has restricted a lot of off road riding because a lot of kids tear up places rather than traverse across them, I've seen it first hand the lake we used to ride has a quarter of what it once did due to kids and irresponsible supposed adults pushing the limits and also venturing onto private property surrounding it. Close off access to the private land that's fine but to reduce it so much was not necessary to achieve this. As for forestry get the permit and make sure you have a spark arrestor, I know a few fellas who found that following the rules were easier than paying stiff fines. As for your machine I like it very much, I am a bit concerned about your fork lowers they seem butt welded. A lot of pressure up front there but if you sleeved or slugged em they will be fine. Nothing like rough terrain to test your fab skills. I applaud you for having the guts to take on such a project, not a small task nice to see your commitment to it.
Forest Service controls most of the state. They have closed a lot of the forest land to motorized traffic. A lot of roads we used to ride are closed. Most roads require a license plate and insurance. Other roads require a Forest Service Off Road permit which requires a title and a special off road license plate if you are not street legal. The area I hunt has some of it closed to even horse traffic.

Arizona: God's Country.

A lot of the land is BLM, and a lot of it is Native American Reservation. Lots of web information on trails statewide is available. US Forest Service does not control BLM land, and most of the land is BLM. The US Forest Service does control Forest Service lands. There is a state map on line, and it's nowhere near "most the state."

You may also notice my friend Jim mentioning the DMV. As most of us know there are not many states you can even title or plate a mini bike. You can also ride them on the highway part time if you register them as such. My four wheeler (Honda) was registered as part time and I could ride it to the desert from my house for hours into the desert, or I could ride it to town and park it in front of a bar on main street.

All in all, this is probably the least restrictive state in the union as far as riding and licensing. Come on Jim, drag that machine out this way, and ride off into the desert with an automatic weapon, and kill as many burro's and coyotes as you want.

Too bad really the government has restricted a lot of off road riding because a lot of kids tear up places rather than traverse across them, I've seen it first hand the lake we used to ride has a quarter of what it once did due to kids and irresponsible supposed adults pushing the limits and also venturing onto private property surrounding it. Close off access to the private land that's fine but to reduce it so much was not necessary to achieve this. As for forestry get the permit and make sure you have a spark arrestor, I know a few fellas who found that following the rules were easier than paying stiff fines. As for your machine I like it very much, I am a bit concerned about your fork lowers they seem butt welded. A lot of pressure up front there but if you sleeved or slugged em they will be fine. Nothing like rough terrain to test your fab skills. I applaud you for having the guts to take on such a project, not a small task nice to see your commitment to it.
Where I could I put sleeves inside the butt welds. The angles I did not. IT is 1/8th inch thick, I beveled and believe I got full penetration. I added fish plates on the frame where I butt welded angles. The front forks are one piece thru the trees. with the angle butt welded and welded to the tree (1/4 inch thick.) So hopefully I covered myself. The fork swingarm I wasn't too worried as the angles were behind the stress points, and where I shortened the swingarm is sleeved. I do intend to keep an eye on the welds.I am no welder for sure, but I did grind out and reweld a few placed that didn't look right. Added gussets, fishplates etc, so I hope nothing falls off. I also have a pretty good first aid kit in the truck.lol. I did not have time to get the seat done, so I will cobble something before I go. I got a chunk of carpet pad and will find something to cover it with this weekend. When I get back let someone do a pro job on it. Not sure how much we can use it for this hunt as most is hike in only, but always time in camp to flog it. I intend to let anyone that wants to ride it till it breaks to find the weak parts. Trial by fire as it were. I noticed my front carrier allows the bike to cover the headlights and blinkers. As long as I only drive in daylight hours I hope it is legal, may ask a cop about that.

A lot of the land is BLM, and a lot of it is Native American Reservation. Lots of web information on trails statewide is available. US Forest Service does not control BLM land, and most of the land is BLM. The US Forest Service does control Forest Service lands. There is a state map on line, and it's nowhere near "most the state."

You may also notice my friend Jim mentioning the DMV. As most of us know there are not many states you can even title or plate a mini bike. You can also ride them on the highway part time if you register them as such. My four wheeler (Honda) was registered as part time and I could ride it to the desert from my house for hours into the desert, or I could ride it to town and park it in front of a bar on main street.

All in all, this is probably the least restrictive state in the union as far as riding and licensing. Come on Jim, drag that machine out this way, and ride off into the desert with an automatic weapon, and kill as many burro's and coyotes as you want.
Up where I live we are surrounded by Forest Service land, little private land and BLM is a long ways away. As a kid we used to ride everywhere. Even on public roads as long as we weren't jerks the local cops looked the other way. Small town so they know are parents and if you did anything wrong they just called home where you got a "whupping". Ahhh, the good ol days. Can I bring my 45-70 pistol to shoot coyotes?

I have tags! It is street legal and I have the off road tag. If you have a Jeep or 4x4 you just need to street legal and you can ride in the forest, but if it's a quad or motorcycle you need a special Forest Service tag. The whole thing cost 34 dollars. Confusing, the guy I saw yesterday said I did not need receipts, the lady today said I did not need receipts, so I went in without receipts. OOPS! I need,,, you guessed it,, receipts. It took all 5 employees but I got tags. Got a cheap piece of black vynil from Wally World I will staple on tonight. Have a pro redo it when I get back.

here is a link to Arizona's rules/laws on off road riding. https://land.az.gov/sites/default/files/documents/files/OHV_Brochure.pdf Equipment you need to operate your OHV in Arizona:
Helmet◆◆ that is properly fitted, fastened and has a uSdoT safety rating for those 18 and under who ride on an oHV . (riders in an oHV such as an roV, while recommended for safety, do not need a helmet .) it is recommended that all oHV users wear a helmet . (ArS § 28-1179B) ◆◆ Spark arrestor that is uSdA approved . (ArS § 28-1179A .4) ◆◆ Brakes adequate to stop and hold the vehicle . (ArS § 28-1179A .1) ◆◆ Muffler or noise dissipative device that prevents sound above 96 decibels . (ArS § 28-1179A .3) ◆◆ eye protection for operators of vehicles not equipped with a windshield . (ArS § 28-964A) ◆◆ Headlights and taillights for use from dusk to dawn . (ArS § 28-1179A .2)
Safety flag◆◆ at least 6” by 12” and 8 feet above the ground on sand dunes or areas designated by the land management agency . (ArS § 28-1179A .5) ◆◆ Brake light and at least one red rear reflector (if taillight does not reflect) . (ArS § 28-927) ◆◆ license plate securely fastened to the rear of the oHV and clearly visible . (ArS § 28-2512d .1&2) rearview mirror.◆◆ (ArS § 28-964B) ◆◆ Seat and footrests for the operator and passenger if vehicle is designed to carry a passenger . (ArS § 28-964B)
To make your OHV street legal you will also need: license plate light.◆◆ (ArS § 28-925c) ◆◆ Horn audible from a distance of at least 200 feet . (ArS § 28-954A) proper insurance.◆◆ (ArS § 28-4142A) ◆◆ emissions: certain areas may also require you to have your oHV emissions tested . (ArS § 49-542c&d)

Dave, I found a map, you were right, Forest Service only controls most of the area I live in. Blm actually controls a bit more. I can't find the numbers now but BLM does control more. Indian Reservations seem to be as much as the FS or BLM. The problem I see is the rules change so dang much from area to area. Our local forest gets hit pretty hard in the summer and law enforcement is pretty thick. And for a good reason, people can be stupid. From what I been reading no matter where in the state you ride, BLM or FS you need a title, plate and a sticker unless it is private property or some special event. We have summer tourist season here and in the fall hunting is huge draw, then Christmas tree hunters next, even snow skiers if weather leaves enough snow. So our forests are busy and it is hard to sneak by with any infraction. Hunters in some cases are allowed cross country travel to retrieve game, some areas not. Some areas are closed to traffic for only part of the year, other times they are open. Signs are torn down and not replaced very quickly, so hard to know. One end of a road seems to be open for travel, the other end is posted. My hunt unit has some areas open to vehicles, some to horses, others to foot only. We printed out some maps and highlighted which was which. Most of the game wardens and FS cops are good guys and only lower the boom if people are jerks. Arizona is still pretty laid back. I used to hunt in Kansas where almost all of the state is privately owned. If you don't know someone, you need to pay someone to hunt. Some open areas, but they get hit pretty hard. One thing I was told in Kansas was one of the big cash crops was pot, illegal, but a lot of it grown. And trespassing was a big deal. I was surprised that the local news listed the pollen count and pot was in the top 5 or ten.

Yes, I looked into all of that pretty heavily. Most states will not issue a title unless the bike has a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO). On the MCO is generally a statement saying the bike is not intended for highway use, thus saving the Walmart shopper all sorts of taxes, and mitigating any risk my the MFGR, retailer, and Insurance Conglomerates.

However, in some states there are provisions to title a "home built" bike. Once that is done, in "some other" states and municipalities, an inspection can be performed by the Law Enforcement, or other vehicle compliance entities to ensure the bike meets whatever laws apply to that state/municipality.

In my county, there are no vehicle inspections. I can only guess this is because our economy is centered around motorsports. Here in this town, there are more vintage cars, trucks and bikes than you can shake a stick at. Lots of desert to play in and a consummate amount of off road vehicles.

However, since it is a retirement/vacation town, many of those off road vehicles can be licensed for part time use on the public streets. My quad was licensed like that.

Recently there has been a change in the state to start pushing the off road requirements to the US Forest service. But since there is no US Forest in most places, it wont fly. I can get on a bike, or a jeep in my garage and drive about two blocks and be in desert. I can keep going for hundreds of miles. Not only is it cost ineffective to police that, it is foolhardy.

You getting your bike titled makes you one of the rare people here. There are hundreds of threads on how to accomplish it, with the poor saps not realizing their shitty state, and NOT the Federal Government, makes it impossible.

Oh, by the way. 97dB? The boats have that requirement as well. No one bothers with that either. There wouldn't be a boat left on the lake.

Yes, I looked into all of that pretty heavily. Most states will not issue a title unless the bike has a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO). On the MCO is generally a statement saying the bike is not intended for highway use, thus saving the Walmart shopper all sorts of taxes, and mitigating any risk my the MFGR, retailer, and Insurance Conglomerates.

However, in some states there are provisions to title a "home built" bike. Once that is done, in "some other" states and municipalities, an inspection can be performed by the Law Enforcement, or other vehicle compliance entities to ensure the bike meets whatever laws apply to that state/municipality.

In my county, there are no vehicle inspections. I can only guess this is because our economy is centered around motorsports. Here in this town, there are more vintage cars, trucks and bikes than you can shake a stick at. Lots of desert to play in and a consummate amount of off road vehicles.

However, since it is a retirement/vacation town, many of those off road vehicles can be licensed for part time use on the public streets. My quad was licensed like that.

Recently there has been a change in the state to start pushing the off road requirements to the US Forest service. But since there is no US Forest in most places, it wont fly. I can get on a bike, or a jeep in my garage and drive about two blocks and be in desert. I can keep going for hundreds of miles. Not only is it cost ineffective to police that, it is foolhardy.

You getting your bike titled makes you one of the rare people here. There are hundreds of threads on how to accomplish it, with the poor saps not realizing their shitty state, and NOT the Federal Government, makes it impossible.

Oh, by the way. 97dB? The boats have that requirement as well. No one bothers with that either. There wouldn't be a boat left on the lake.
Wonder if someone could title their bike in easy to get state, then transfer that title to another state? I would think a valid title in one state would be received well in another? For some that would be a pain, others with a good friend or family in another state be easier. Wonder on legalities tho. Most of time I finds LEO's warn most off roaders, usually do not write them up unless DUI or being a jerk. But if they do write you up, it can be in the thousands of dollars and the loss of the bike. Not worth the risk. You are lucky to be able to just go ride. Used to be that way here.

Wonder if someone could title their bike in easy to get state, then transfer that title to another state? I would think a valid title in one state would be received well in another? For some that would be a pain, others with a good friend or family in another state be easier. Wonder on legalities tho. Most of time I finds LEO's warn most off roaders, usually do not write them up unless DUI or being a jerk. But if they do write you up, it can be in the thousands of dollars and the loss of the bike. Not worth the risk. You are lucky to be able to just go ride. Used to be that way here.
I have been asked to do that on this forum. My response is, "move out of your nanny state, and come here and bake in the sun with the rest of us and pay taxes."

Yes, titles are transferable. Licensing is not.

Wonder if someone could title their bike in easy to get state, then transfer that title to another state? I would think a valid title in one state would be received well in another?
It has already been taking place for quite awhile. Google "Vermont Title".
Michael

Ok, since the bike blocks the blinkers, illegal, I bought the magnetic tow lights. Headlights can be covered up as long as it's daytime. The only final piece is if I can get Granny to let me put her rocker on top of the trailer.

Back from elk hunting. Our hunt is set to remove as many elk from that area as possible. Great odds to get a tag, but each year the odds of getting an elk gets less.
Out of 4 of us we never got a shot. Saw two elk. I saw one at about 430 in the am, in my headlights, too dark to shoot. One of the others saw a spike bull, but we had cow tags. so no elk. Saw turkey, white tail and mule deer. Saw some great looking country, lots of trees aspen, doug fir, spruce, and others I wasn't sure of. Sat in the forest in the dark and watch the sun come up. Heard the forest awake. Heard the squirrels bark, coyotes call, hawks shrill cry, perhaps a bull elk bugle one of the last for the season. All while holding a thermos of hot coffee, watching the steam form patterns on a midnight blue background. Stars so bright they look reachable. Air so cold, crisp, you could taste it. a few minutes later it was light enough to see to walk, walk up 1000-1500 feet. follow trials, sit, wait, look. Elk or not, worth the price of admission.
We rode the bike around camp, took turns trying to kill it. Only problem was the set screws came loose on the sprocket and spit out the keyway. Was able to stick another in, tighten up the screws and continue. Even coasted most of the way back to camp when it happened.
Noticed the bend in the exhaust has cracked, so ordered a piece of flex. And the light gage tin I used for the rear fender wells, oil canned like thunder so ordered a piece of ABS sheet to replace it, and add a glove box to the front of the frame. Need to get the seat done by someone real.
Weighed the beast this week. On a bathroom scale so might be off a bit, but by weighing front and rear, adding the two I come up with a bit over 320lbs. Ya, 320. Jlo might need to back off the BonBons. While trail riding I could break the rear tire loose almost at will. If the tire would hook up it would climb anything I tried. 35-40 on gravel roads felt like a speed attempt at Bonneville. But the more I rode it, the better it handled. I think rider break in was the cause. More throttle seemed to cure any problems. It seemed like it could have easily hauled anything we stuck on it. we never got that chance, but all three of us agreed 1/2 an elk was an easy thing.
I'll post pics when I get the last updates done and get the wiring hooked up.

Last edited:
Nice story..I'm an old fisherman not a hunter but love being one with nature so i really like you sharing ....Allen sets in sprockets...seem i have to drill a dimple in the shaft use locktite and even then check em regularly..:laugh:funny i call my ct200u the beast too..it's kinda a heavy bike..anyways sounds like you're having fun..:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a nice trip and a decent test of your machine. I've done fine with Loctite blue, and I never put dimples in. If you do not use Loctite, it is a 100% guarantee that your set screws will walk out. But unless you lose your key, it's not a big deal, they'll run fine on a properly adjusted chain.

Great description of the camp and the trip, although I am a fan of paragraphs. :laugh: Arizona. :thumbsup:

Nice story..I'm an old fisherman not a hunter but love being one with nature so i really like you sharing ....Allen sets in sprockets...seem i have to drill a dimple in the shaft use locktite and even then check em regularly..:laugh:funny i call my ct200u the beast too..it's kinda a heavy bike..anyways sounds like you're having fun..:thumbsup:
I replaced the allens with a long square head and bought a 3/8th drive socket, thinking I could torque them till smoke came out. Next time I remove rear wheel I think I will drill dimples. dam, rear wheel has 12 set screws! I think for now I will add lock nuts to the set screws and a drop of blue locktite.

Last edited: