Recent content by justin-branam

1. J

Need DelLorto Carb rebuild help

And here is the kit I bought with the installed parts shown.
  2. J

Need DelLorto Carb rebuild help

I am rebuilding the DelLorto carb for my M5A motor, and I got it all apart, cleaned up, and pulled out all of the gaskets and orings I saw (only 4 of them), but I am left with the 3 black ones pictured. One looks like a plain old flat rubber washer, and the other two, look like they are meant to...
  3. J

1976 Indian M5A - My first restore/rebuild, and hell of a story!

Go figure, haha. Thanks for checking and a big thanks for the heads up on the oil!
  4. J

I sure do. None on ebay, but I did email Gary at Indian Dirtbike Parts, and I'm betting he can find me one. Unless of course, you have one you want to sell me, hahaha!
  5. J

I got the motor all cleaned up and put back together. Rebuilt the carb, and I have a new gasket set on the way for it. Even though some of the gaskets were leaking a bit, I couldn't resist. I threw it all together, put some fresh 80w-90 gear oil in her, mixed up some fuel and gave it a test run...
  6. J

Questions about cleaning out old engine oil and adding new oil

Just to help anyone in the future, although there was an oil drain plug on the motor, it is a 2 cycle motor, and the plug was to drain the "gear oil". I ended up going with some non-synthetic 80w-90. Got everything cleaned up and gave her a test start. Don't have the tank hooked up, so i couldnt...
  7. J

I have the engine opened up right now. Went ahead and took a can of brake cleaner to it, and wow, it cleaned up 99% of that nasty crap! I have bought a few parts from that site already, and Gary was kind enough to locate and upload the manual for my year model. It has helped me greatly...
  8. J

I am in the process of tearing apart a 1976 Indian M5A which was sitting for quite a few years. There was a decent amount of gunked up oil in there. I scraped out what I could, and although all of the gears turn freely, I would really like to clean it out a little better than just wiping it. I...
  9. J

I'm still alive, but things had to be put on hold for the bike. Back up and running now, so I got into the motor last night. The kickstart lever return spring was broken, there was some oil sludge in there and it definitely needs some new gaskets, but all of the internals look to be in great...
  10. J

Foam pieces in powder coating gun?

Since there are no stupid questions (only stupid people, haha), here we go! I bought a little Craftsman powder coater to play with (it was only $35) and in the powder canister, there is what looks to be 2 small pieces of orange foam (look like ear plugs, but one is longer than the other). Is...
  11. J

KBS Coatings for rusty tank - Anyone have opinions?

To be honest, I don't know. The bike has been sitting for roughly 30 years without fuel in it. When I looked inside I see what looks like mostly surface rust. I guess there aren't any real "flakes" in there. I have only rinsed it out so far. I was going to soak it with Evaporust, but was told it...
  12. J

As I mentioned , I did search, and was unable to find anything. I'm assuming there is a member here named KBS, because when I searched, I was unable to find anything relevant to the tank coating, only KBS mentioned randomly in a bunch of threads....? When I searched KBS in "Title only" mode, it...
  13. J

The inside of the tank on the bike I'm restoring has some rusting going on. I did some searching and came accross KBS coatings 3 step system. Has anyone used this? Would you reccomend it or something else? Seems like for $39 it is a pretty good solution. Also, could this be done before...
  14. J

Another 24 hour shift at the station, so I thought I would try out the sandblaster. I got all of the main parts other than the fork and wheels, stripped down and ready for sandblasting. A better shot of all of the parts I had ready to sandblast after lots of scrubbing to get the larger...
  15. J

I was on a 12 hour night shift at the fire station, so I decided to bring some of the stuff up with me and dig into it. I started by getting some of the parts cleaned off. A little simple green and elbow grease goes a long way. I also had some Evaporust and thought I'd try it out on a few...