Questions about cleaning out old engine oil and adding new oil

I am in the process of tearing apart a 1976 Indian M5A which was sitting for quite a few years. There was a decent amount of gunked up oil in there. I scraped out what I could, and although all of the gears turn freely, I would really like to clean it out a little better than just wiping it. I am trying not to pull out everything since it seems pretty tight and seems to be turning nicely. I have 2 questions:

1- is it okay to use something like brake/carb cleaner to spray in there and on all of the gears to help clean off any gunked up and old oil that is on there?

2- is there a specific type/weight of oil I need to put back in this motor? happen to know how much oil this motor holds? (I know that was really three questions :laugh:)

I've never really messed with small engines like this, so any help is appretiated.

Thanks!

hoppy

yup shouldnt hurt. both will evaporate off anyways. maybe some compressed air wouldnt hurt to blow stuff out. is there a drain plug or do you have the engine opened up?

yup shouldnt hurt. both will evaporate off anyways. maybe some compressed air wouldnt hurt to blow stuff out. is there a drain plug or do you have the engine opened up?
I have the engine opened up right now. Went ahead and took a can of brake cleaner to it, and wow, it cleaned up 99% of that nasty crap!

Maybe some good info here.
Indian Dirtbike Parts Lists & Manuals

Sometimes these engines state the oil capacity on the engine block close to the dipstick or at the refill bung.

Cool bike !
I have bought a few parts from that site already, and Gary was kind enough to locate and upload the manual for my year model. It has helped me greatly! Unfortunately, I did not see the oil capacity anywhere in the manual, or anywhere on the motor.

I have a build thread on this one if you want to check it out.

Just to help anyone in the future, although there was an oil drain plug on the motor, it is a 2 cycle motor, and the plug was to drain the "gear oil". I ended up going with some non-synthetic 80w-90. Got everything cleaned up and gave her a test start. Don't have the tank hooked up, so i couldnt run a fuel source, but she did crank up and run for about 3 seconds.