craftsman 3.5 hp wanted

capguncowboy

I have a few H35 engines that are missing their original tags -- and I have a 1970 model Sears H35 tag with the original rivets I could put on one of them. They're good usable, mini bike correct engines.

minibikefever

I have a what I believe is a sears drover, I just bought and it came with a tecumseh 3.5 that wasnt on it but was supposed to fit, now I know why it wasnt mounted, when I attemped to mount it the chain is up against the frame, this motor must fit on a bike with a jack shaft if thats what its called, I know its a minibike motor, aluminum flywheel, but wont fit my direct drive type minibike, It came stock with a craftsman 3.5, this is all I know,

capguncowboy

The Tecumseh engines and Craftsman engines were the same. They just had different numbers on them. If the chain doesn't align correctly, try turning the clutch over so the sprocket is on the other side (inboard vs outboard) and see if that helps.

If that solves the problem, a simple tag-swap would solve you issues. I'd be willing to trade my tag for your tag, and pay shipping both ways. Just let me know

minibikefever

I didnt realize that I could turn the clutch around, just have to slide a short keyway in after the clutch goes on and the chain will line up , thank you, you just saved me a little stress, Im new to this minibike hobby, 57 year old constuction carpenter who used to watch the neighborhood kids ride there minibikes when I was a kid but couldnt afford one, now I plan to buy old style minibikes fix them up and find some kids that cant afford one and maybe make one of there dreams come true, when they ride off I will be 10 years old again for a couple of moments, thanks again

A mini bike engine serial plate that matches the bike he has? I think most would agree that's worth a lot more than a run-of-the-mill sears serial plate
Sure Andy, everything is worth what someone will pay. This is a guy so new to the hobby, he doesn't know to flip the clutch around, and you're going to be magnanimous and offer him a trade?

What is the price difference between an H35 45328H tag, and a 143 614132 tag? And who are these "most" people you refer to?

The people who restore vintage Tecumseh engines would not agree with your premise that the difference in value between the two tags are "shipping costs."

I do lament getting involved with your fleecing, because now I find myself involved in drama. I should have learned over the years go keep my mouth shut when I see things like this. You're here to make money, plain and simple. I should just get past that, and move on- which I will with this thread.

capguncowboy

You're here to make money, plain and simple. I should just get past that, and move on- which I will with this thread.
I do a lot in this hobby to help others. Sure, I don't create threads with new information in them. I have a full-time job and just don't have time, but I help a lot of guys with what I've learned here. I've given away more parts than I can count. I've sold stuff at a loss dozens of times to help someone out.

But go ahead. Reduce me to only being here to make money. But don't you dare have the audacity to pretend that I am the one starting some sort of drama. I was prepared to ignore your jab and move on, but I've had enough of your shit.

You constantly go on rants about people that step in your business. You repeatedly cut down anyone that has a differing opinion than yours. You pick at people until they leave. I've seen it over and over again. When people act like you do, it's no wonder this site has less and less traffic every day. You're a bully, plain and simple. That's okay. Just figured I'd throw that out there while we were putting labels on one another.

You're a bully, plain and simple.
I didn't "accuse" you of starting drama. I accused myself of starting it with a comment on your fleecing a new guy who didn't know any better.

You didn't see me posting on the three page rant against you when you parted out the vintage Bonanza. You were a lot more subdued when it was five or six forum members saying the same thing I just said above. I'm a bully?

As far as me being responsible for the slowdown in forum participation, there are a lot of folks who would disagree with that, but no problem, I can vacate this site. You can go ahead and take over this year's Build Off thread, since you're all about helping people out and shit, in between giving away free mini bike parts, and your full time job. Let me know when you've got it. I'll send you the spread sheet to track the builds.

cfh

not to step into the drama (guess i am...) but i do agree with the Cowboy on his point. Dave you are a bit heavy handed, and for what reason, i'm not really sure. it's not a good positive vibe, that's 100%. To cowboy's point, after some of your rants, it does make me want to back out of this site and find another place. That's not a position a moderator should be exhibiting frankly.

That said, the other side of the coin is that the Cowboy does seem to be profit motivated. Not that this is bad, that's just how these things roll. But i can never say that i saw him post anything to make me cringe, or want to leave. He may not post new/informational stuff (as he admitted), but he does seem to have a good posting disposition. i enjoy his posts. i probably have bought some trinkets from him too, and that all worked out well from what i remember. overall i would call him an asset here. Admittedly i didn't like the bonanza part-out thing. but that stuff happens sometimes, and i'm sure the people getting those parts were thrilled.

Perhaps dave you should turn the moderation thing over to someone else? i mean it doesn't appear that you like this job all that much, based on some of your posts. i'm not trying to be mean here. i'm just stating how it looks from the "cheap seats."

as for the build off thing... if you don't have time to do it, i would be happy to help. i don't have as much experience in these things, but if that makes things easier, i can help.

as someone that is relatively new to this forum, i can understand why some people get turned off. It's a hard nut to crack here. A lot of the guys are pretty 'odd and tight' on information. personally i think everything should be 'out there' and not so secretive. it would be cool if people would step in and offer their experiences without any attitude. that said, i'm from NY so i probably have some attitude too. but i try and be helpful and offer what information i have. it doesn't always get received well though, though perhaps my presentation needs some work...

1971_MB1A

not to step into the drama (guess i am...) but i do agree with the Cowboy on his point. Dave you are a bit heavy handed, and for what reason, i'm not really sure. it's not a good positive vibe, that's 100%. To cowboy's point, after some of your rants, it does make me want to back out of this site and find another place. That's not a position a moderator should be exhibiting frankly.

That said, the other side of the coin is that the Cowboy does seem to be profit motivated. Not that this is bad, that's just how these things roll. But i can never say that i saw him post anything to make me cringe, or want to leave. He may not post new/informational stuff (as he admitted), but he does seem to have a good posting disposition. i enjoy his posts. i probably have bought some trinkets from him too, and that all worked out well from what i remember. overall i would call him an asset here. Admittedly i didn't like the bonanza part-out thing. but that stuff happens sometimes, and i'm sure the people getting those parts were thrilled.

Perhaps dave you should turn the moderation thing over to someone else? i mean it doesn't appear that you like this job all that much, based on some of your posts. i'm not trying to be mean here. i'm just stating how it looks from the "cheap seats."

as for the build off thing... if you don't have time to do it, i would be happy to help. i don't have as much experience in these things, but if that makes things easier, i can help.

as someone that is relatively new to this forum, i can understand why some people get turned off. It's a hard nut to crack here. A lot of the guys are pretty 'odd and tight' on information. personally i think everything should be 'out there' and not so secretive. it would be cool if people would step in and offer their experiences without any attitude. that said, i'm from NY so i probably have some attitude too. but i try and be helpful and offer what information i have. it doesn't always get received well though, though perhaps my presentation needs some work...
Not that my two cents worth much matter on here but I'm with cfh and capguncowboy both on this as they have went out of their way to help me out several times on here with some of my bikes,parts,projects etc.

Well this thread went off the rails.

Welcome to OldMiniBikes minibikefever.

I didnt catch if you do need a tag or not, i believe i have a craftsman tag on an old parts engine. You can have it if you want.

As far as the other conversation on this thread... I really appreciate you running the build off Dave, and ive learned alot from your postings.

I try to not have issues with anyone, its more fun that way. Its a fun hobby, im happy to be part of this site and being able to meet up a few times a year with some members.

minibikefever

Well this thread went off the rails.

Welcome to OldMiniBikes minibikefever.

I didnt catch if you do need a tag or not, i believe i have a craftsman tag on an old parts engine. You can have it if you want.

As far as the other conversation on this thread... I really appreciate you running the build off Dave, and ive learned alot from your postings.

I try to not have issues with anyone, its more fun that way. Its a fun hobby, im happy to be part of this site and being able to meet up a few times a year with some members.
thank you for the welcome, I asked a question and watched all kinds of drama unfold, I had to get some things done today but had to keep coming back to my computer to read the post, wife works out of town so things are pretty quiet around here, which is going to let me enjoy a little hobby that I thought about since I was a young boy, almost 50 years later here I am, like to put some old style mini bikes together, and let someone get some good clean fun out of them, I'm a couple years short of 60 but I can still remember how it felt to stand on the sidelines while the other kids rode their mini bikes, we didnt have the cash, if you ask my wifeI still dont [lol], well thats my deal, got some time, some spare change, cause my body is getting too old to enjoy the bad habits I enjoyed so this is gonna have to be my new habit, I thank everyone for the advice you gave me, at this point tags mean nothing to me, but I certainly picked up a little knowledge today, Im near the syracuse n.y. area, thanks again GENTLEMAN have a great day

Thanks buddy. I was trying to keep a new guy from having to give up a Tecumseh tag for a Sears tag. Looking out for the new guy. There is an old saying, "no good deed goes unpunished."

Other members as of late have been following me around the threads looking for holes in my game, coming on to my threads and pointing out errors, or commenting on how they'd do it different, etc. so I'm kind of fed up.

Sorry all for my harsh words and commentary. I do or have historically got along well with Andy, and I apologize right here to Andy for running my mouth.

@minibikefever I didn't see your first post, nor your question on engine alignment. I have a history not unlike yours, albeit a tad older, and restoring these bikes (and karts) is what I do as I am long retired. Welcome, and it's not always like this, and neither am I.

minibikefever

glad I found the site, I know that I will get a lot of useful info here I already have, and I certainly understand that some things are surely based on making a little profit and I see nothing wrong with that, as long as theres no outright deceit which there wasnt, the info I got surely helped me out and Im sure that Im gonna ask a lot more dumb questions and will be more than happy for any help I can get, I retired from being a constuction carpenter for 34 years 2 years ago when hunting season came to an end I bought 12 old mopeds for something to do and fixed 11 out of 12 got the paperwork for all of them and sold all of them in one week in may, I could of made more selling lemonade but thats not why I did it, the mini bikes are my passion so Im gonna hang with you guys til ya boot me, thanks again to everyone

capguncowboy

Sorry all for my harsh words and commentary. I do or have historically got along well with Andy, and I apologize right here to Andy for running my mouth.
Dave, I have a lot of respect for you, and usually look forward to your posts. Sorry I went on my rant. I guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed

@minibikefever Sorry to hijack your thread! We're here to help when you need it. We might fight a little along the way, but at the end of the day, we usually agree that this hobby is for fun.

If you do get a sears tag for your engine, I'd be interested in buying your H35 tag.

minibikefever

heres a dumb question for you, my motors tag gives a model# and a serial #, heres the model #143-614132, all I know is that the flywheel is aluminum, please make me a little wiser, thanks

heres a dumb question for you, my motors tag gives a model# and a serial #, heres the model #143-614132, all I know is that the flywheel is aluminum, please make me a little wiser, thanks
That is only the model number based on Craftsman's numeric code. It crosses over to H35 (3.5 HP) and model number 45328H. You can use those numbers to find every part number you would need for it.

Here is a part breakdown for your engine. Parts Tree

It should have a serial number on that tag as well beneath the 143XXX numbers. That will give you the year and day of the year it was produced.