Search results

1. M

Benelli kick start seal leaking

Hello Guys, I have one of these Benelli Volcano 180's and the kickstart shaft seal is leaking. Does anyone know if I need to split the cases to replace this seal or can it be accessed through the opposite side cover? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Mailman ps. Does it have a...
  2. M

1970 Benelli Volcano

Bump. Hello Guys, I have one of these Benelli Volcano 180's and the kickstart shaft seal is leaking. Does anyone know if I need to split the cases to replace this seal or can it be accessed through the opposite side cover? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Mailman
  3. M

HS40 Crank Bearing Clip Needed???

You are correct. The clip doesn't hold the bearing in. I went out last night and played around with it and you are spot on. Without the clip, there is a noticeable amount of end play in the crank. I put the clip on and there is almost none. I wanted to leave the clip off so the next rebuild...
  4. M

HS40 Crank Bearing Clip Needed???

Hello, I am putting a HS40 together for a friend and there is a clip that holds the crank bearing in place that I want to leave out. It doesn't look like it is needed. The clip is on the clutch side between the crank bearing and the seal. Any input or advise is greatly appreciated...
  5. M

H70 blows a little smoke after rebuild

The bore was just worn out. I put a .010 over piston in it and had it bored and honed. It runs great and doesn't smoke. It feels good to be done with this monster. Thanks for your help.
  6. M

OK. Thanks. I will try it dry this time and change the oil often. I will post back up when it is back together and let you know how it turns out.
  7. M

Thanks Tom. That makes a lot of sense. By the way; Do you install the rings and cylinder dry or do you put oil on them? I have read that if you oil them then they will always let oil by and a dry install is the best way to go.
  8. M

I tore it down and the valves were perfect. It turns out that the cylinder was worn. I ordered a .010 over piston and rings for it. Any advice for break in?
  9. M

I ran it for another 15 to 20 minutes and the amount of oil decreased but it is still blowing some. Should I just bore it and put in an over sized piston? That way I know it is in spec.
  10. M

With new valves and having the seats cut by a shop, I don't see how the valves could be leaking. I am new to this so correct me if I am wrong. I also adjusted the valves to spec. I did run the motor for 10 minutes or so and the amount of smoke went down considerably. Is this due to rings...
  11. M

Yes, I forgot what it was but it was within specs.
  12. M

I did set the valve clearance I did clean out the breather really well but I could check that again. Thank you.
  13. M

Yes, I did offset the ring gaps. Thanks for the idea though. Hopefully the rings will seat after break in. How do you guys usually break in your motors?
  14. M

Hey guys, I rebuilt an H70 recently. It blows a little white smoke in the higher rpms. Do I just need to give it a little time to break in the new rings? I honed the cylinder and put in a fresh aftermarket piston kit that I got off Ebay. I don't remember if it had chrome rings or not...
  15. M

H70 Bearing Retainer Question

I think Tecumseh designed the retainers to drive people like me crazy. I found 1 then on assembly, I stripped the other one. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.
  16. M

I got a billet rod from Rupps. Actually, I just found the right part number on the "engine parts list 2". The crank bearing retainer number is 31855. Thanks for the quick reply roccosbike.
  17. M

Hey guys, I am rebuilding an H70 and upping the compression and have installed a billet rod. I only have 1 bearing retainer but the cover requires 2. Can I get away with 1 or should I run 2? Any idea where I could find another one? Any idea on the part number? I pulled up the...
  18. M

H35 Excessive Valve Clearance Issue

I tried to swap the lifters but there was only .001" difference so no big gain there but it was worth a try. Since the valve was good and the seat was good, I thought it was a little odd to grind on it so I had a little metal welded on to the lifter to lengthen it. I then ground that down to...
  19. M

H35 Excessive Valve Clearance Issue

I did not have the cover on the motor when I checked it so that really threw off the measurement on the exhaust. Foolish me. My original numbers posted were actually backwards. My intake was .028 and my exhaust was .014. With the cover on, I checked again and I now have neg. clearance on...