Search results

1. TheDullCarbide

Best Head Gasket?

I've been running the 0.009" single layer viton-coated steel head gasket for about 15 hours and then I started blowing side cover gaskets, losing power, and burning a little oil. It ended up being that my head gasket blew into the oil passage right next to the cylinder: I've had this happen...
  2. TheDullCarbide

Valve stem seal on exhaust?

Is it okay to run a valve seal on the exhaust valve of a GX200? Will the valve stem burn the seal? The main reason I want the seal is to keep the valve spring centered over the valve guide while running relatively thick shims.
  3. TheDullCarbide

Which mini is my mini?

I'm halfheartedly looking into buying a minibike frame to clown around on. But with all the different minibikes out there, which one is the perfect date? I'm looking for more of a pitbike-ish minibike that I can pound on offroad trails with a built GX200 and a high-revving TAV. My wishlist: 1...
  4. TheDullCarbide

Predator Generations?

Can someone explain the Harbor Freight 196/212cc Generations? Is the Greyhound a Gen 1? Which one has the small cam bosses? Which one has the weird flywheel taper? Does the newest Generation include both a HEMI and non-HEMI? How do the California versions fit in?
  5. TheDullCarbide

Your opinion on carb rumors

I'm debating on a carb upgrade for my greyhound engine. I currently have the stock carb bored to 0.629" but I don't feel that will be enough. Now I understand the VM22 is probably the most popular of the carbs but I've heard a certain rumor that they don't appreciate bouncing. My application...
  6. TheDullCarbide

Blown-up 6.5HP OHV Block

I have a blown-up 2000-ish 6.5HP Tecumseh block. The air cleaner fell off, sucked dirt into the bore, and ruined it. My dad and I tried a new stock sized piston (was all we could source) and a very shitty homebrew hone. Only had 60PSI compression after the rebuild. The only option for saving...
  7. TheDullCarbide

Help me port my head!

I know the motto is "Smooth the short side, leave the roof alone." My roof seems a little low to me. How should I treat it?
  8. TheDullCarbide

Coils, over? So "shocking" it "kills"

Oh I love stupid puns. So what do you guys do for coils on 6.5 builds?
  9. TheDullCarbide

Don't you hate when this happens? Learning...

I've been trying different things with the head on my Carbide (GY6 150cc) and made small improvements, but I knew I needed a BBK. Well, I got a smokin' deal on a 169cc BBK. I tore down the top end like I've done too many times before, yanked the old cylinder out and beat the new one in. You...
  10. TheDullCarbide

Anybody heard of this TAV gadget? Answer to TAV drag racing?

Many people have had trouble getting the TAV2 with a 6 inch pulley to rev beyond top ratio when racing. What if you didn't need to reach top ratio? https://www.gokartsupply.com/speedr.htm
  11. TheDullCarbide

Let the Experimenting Begin: TAV2 Edition

Last night on the throne I thought to myself, "Could I jam a GY6 contra into a TAV?" I ran downstairs, grabbed my spare 6", and tore it apart, almost sending the circlip through a nearby window. I cut a third off my beat up old 1000rpm contra and it fit like a glove. The 6" got slapped into the...
  12. TheDullCarbide

8 Tooth TAV Sprocket?

I heard of a few people on this forum who run an 8 tooth 40 series sprocket on their TAV. Where can I find this unicorn?
  13. TheDullCarbide

Low Down-Force Tire Suggestion

I have an '08 ASW/Fox Carbide (the one in my profile picture if you can squint) and I'm going to need back tires soon. It still has the original :chinese: V-treads that claim to be 21" inflated (more like 18") and those tires never hooked up in anything. It is VERY light in the :asshole:-end...
  14. TheDullCarbide

Explanation of Port Velocity's Effect on Torque

I've heard there's a "sweet spot" for port velocity of around 250mph?:shrug: and that port area determines the cfm (or rpm in a motor) at which this port velocity is reached. At the speed of sound (712mph?:shrug:) the port starts to choke the flow and power starts to decrease. My question is...
  15. TheDullCarbide

Greyhound Clone Build for a 2005 Ty-Rail Gokart

This is my first build thread:punk:! I have been planning this build for quite awhile and I'm finally starting to wrench on the engine. I pretty much made a BOM for what I eventually want to do with this Grayhound, but it's not all happening at once. I'm not made of money... This is the...
  16. TheDullCarbide

ICL for Isky?

What is the ICL for the plain Black Mamba? Is it the same for the Jr. and Sr.? Can't find anything online.
  17. TheDullCarbide

Squish band in a Predator engine

Started this thread to continue a conversation about squish stemming from another thread.
  18. TheDullCarbide

Quick question: stock valve size

What's the stock valve size in a blue 5-bolt Greyhound? I'm just too lazy to pull my head and check for myself at the moment.
  19. TheDullCarbide

Mixing race gas with pump gas

I've had this question for awhile but just forgot to ask it. noseoil reminded me of it. If you mix high octane and low octane gas, does it make medium octane or low octane gas? My neighbors think it makes medium octane, but I don't. Higher octane means that the fuel has a higher resistance...
  20. TheDullCarbide

My First 2-Stroke Crankshaft Rebuild...Much Cringe

I have a 1980 Ski-Doo Everest L/C Electro 464 snowmobile. Last season, I...well...the oil injection pump...toasted the crank pin bearing on the magneto side connecting rod. Lets play a little game of spot the difference: Now that first picture, the PTO side, seemed okay, right? I know...