Search results

1. 5

Basket case Taco 44

I have a true basket case Taco 44. Don’t know what year. Frame has some cobble welded foot pegs. Frame, wheels, swing arm. Have new wheel bearings and jackshaft parts. No seat or controls.Fiberglass “Taco” clutch cover. Comes with a running 3hp B&S currently mounted on a edger. I picked it up...
  2. 5

Taco 44 gearing

I have pulled my Taco 44 project from the bowels of the garage and am determined to get back on the road. The PO had turned it into a "direct drive", bypassed the jackshaft. I have a 3hp, B&S IC for it. Target rider is a 10 year old. The jackshaft on it now is pretty beat up and there is only...
  3. 5

Scrub brake conversion--Taco 44

I am rebuilding a Taco 44 for the 9yr. old grandson (my excuse anyway) and the PO welded on a scrub brake. Dosen't look bad and most likely would work but I am checking if there is a better brake setup. "Back in the day" when I had my Taco 44, it had a cable actuated drum brake, didn't work real...
  4. 5

What/where NOT to buy.

Since I have been out of the mini-bike circle for 'bout 40 years, I need some guidance on who and where the better vendors are for my Taco 44 resurrection project. As it stands now, it needs a seat, throttle, wheel and jackshaft bearings, rear sprocket and tires/tubes. I don't know how well the...
  5. 5

Project Taco takes a leap foward.

I was crusin a pawn shop the other day for nuthin special and spied a lawn edger with a 3.5 IC Briggs. Most of the paint was still on the muffler and the whole rig was clean. I plunked down my $49 and loaded it up. I cleaned the swill that was in the fuel tank, changed the oil and yanked on the...
  6. 5

ID a new find.

Need some help on identifying a recent find, without pictures, yet. I have narrowed it down to a Taco, either a 44 or 100. I based this on pictures of rigs here and on the Taco site. The rig I found has front/rear suspension, jackshaft and a rear scrub brake only. Front "shocks" are at the...
  7. 5

New Guy.

I am pumped!!! I had a Taco 44 when I was 12 and rode it to death. Repowered it with a 5hp B&S when the 3hp went south (soon after I figured out how to remove the air vane govenor). I graduated to a Bonanza Hodaka powered death machine, keeping the 44. As always, the 44 and Bonanza went off to...