13hp Predator (420cc)

I just got a coupon for a 13hp Predator (420cc). Would this be something to think about putting on a mini bike? Would there be any performance parts for it? It's $120 off, and at $279, why not. :scooter: :shrug:

I was just mainly curious about it. I read one thread where I guy took his engine (dont remember the hp) and modded it up with some performance parts and it dynoed at 9hp when he was done. wouldn't it have been cheaper to start with a 13hp engine and possibly get 20hp from it? You see what I am getting at? What is the benfit of not starting with the higher hp engine? :shrug: :confused:

vwfan79

The performance parts are not quit as readily available and cost quit a bit more $, main reason IMO being that there's not kart class racing big blocks so the demand isn't that great.

The performance parts are not quit as readily available and cost quit a bit more $, main reason IMO being that there's not kart class racing big blocks so the demand isn't that great.
That is so untrue,you can get everything for a big block and more plus you can make twice the torque and HP as a small block. Open unlimited is a Hugh class in karting.

I think a big block would be fun on a big balloon tired mini bike like a baja heat or hawg ty but it would some frame reinforcements, frame modification to make it fit and a jackshaft to keep the motor centered on the frame.

@RMM,

Not trying to argue, but Honda lists its 390 cc as net 11 hp.
Honda Power Equipment: Honda Generators, Lawn Mowers, Snowblowers, Tillers

@All

Not to steal the thread, but does anyone make a flywheel that can handle higher RPM's and still be able to use the Honda 20 amp charging system? :shrug: I don't care about racing, I would like to build a fat tire bike around the 420 Predator, add on the Honda 20 amp charging system (cheaper to do this than buy the Honda 390 with the charging system) and get additional performance out of it. The only problem is that the couple of places I have looked at performance parts for the 420 cc engine do not have flywheels that can be used with a charging system (I guess because most people building up these engines want to race them). I'd like to be able to keep the starter, run lights and have a 12V outlet. Not looking for 10K rpm capability, but getting to 5K or 7K rpm would be about what I would be looking for.

Paul

vwfan79

Sorry...

Small blocks are cheaper to build part for part but you will spend half getting over 20+HP out of a big block over the small block.
No need to apologize, I'm still new at this and welcome all the new knowledge I can get.

I do see where your coming from though as with a big block your already half way to the 20hp right out of the box.

@RMM,

Not trying to argue, but Honda lists its 390 cc as net 11 hp.
Honda Power Equipment: Honda Generators, Lawn Mowers, Snowblowers, Tillers

@All

Not to steal the thread, but does anyone make a flywheel that can handle higher RPM's and still be able to use the Honda 20 amp charging system? :shrug: I don't care about racing, I would like to build a fat tire bike around the 420 Predator, add on the Honda 20 amp charging system (cheaper to do this than buy the Honda 390 with the charging system) and get additional performance out of it. The only problem is that the couple of places I have looked at performance parts for the 420 cc engine do not have flywheels that can be used with a charging system (I guess because most people building up these engines want to race them). I'd like to be able to keep the starter, run lights and have a 12V outlet. Not looking for 10K rpm capability, but getting to 5K or 7K rpm would be about what I would be looking for.

Paul
11.7 at 3600 but look at the torque it puts out at 19.5.
On your other....no one makes a billet with the charging magnets. No reason you could not add them yourself though.

rmm727- Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I did notice that at HF the shelf tag showed the 212cc as 7hp instead of the advertised 6.5hp. And my kids have a go kart with a Subaru 169cc and it says it is 6.5hp. Doesn't seem like there is a hp standard on these little power plants.

texasfabguy- Have You seen anyone that has added the magnets to the billet flywheel? Or is there anywhere that tells how to add them? I was wondering the same thing as paul_probus.

Tex,

My biggest concern with adding them myself is balance. Wouldn't that throw them out of balance? Also, being ignorant of how they're attached, would it be possible to attach them so that they stand up to the higher RPM's? I would even be OK with one of the billet flywheel suppliers attaching them for me and re-balancing the flywheel, if they're willing to do that (obviously at an additional cost). I am just not sure any of the suppliers would do that. :shrug:

Paul

i just got the 212 cc predator, wondering how to connect the throttle cable, im a new guy to minibikes and have been looking for 1 for a long time to use for a pit bike, thanks guys