15HP too much for DB frame?

I am building up a new 6.5 clone motor. When it's done, I will be in the vicinity of 15HP and the torque will be tremendous i'm sure.

Question - knowing the DB frame was built with a 2.8HP motor in mind, should I/would it be wise to "strengthen" any particular welds or reinforce anything, add anything that will help the frame stand up to the torque?
If so, what welds/points should I be concerned about?

cncd11

Bracing will be needed. If you look at my thread i will be doing this very shortly. Bracing should be done even with a stock 6.5 to prevent the frame from flexing. What i plan on doing is get 7/8 tubing and going from the back of the engine plate and up to the rear grab handle and from the front of the engine plate midway up the down tubes. That should be fine but may need more not sure.

Bracing will be needed. If you look at my thread i will be doing this very shortly. Bracing should be done even with a stock 6.5 to prevent the frame from flexing. What i plan on doing is get 7/8 tubing and going from the back of the engine plate and up to the rear grab handle and from the front of the engine plate midway up the down tubes. That should be fine but may need more not sure.
what thread are you talking about?

I've always thought the engine plate should be tied to the frame better, when next I paint the blue one I'll make gussets to run along the length of the plate and weld it to the frame. The engine plates on the older DBs which mine is are better attatched to the frame but not by much! Yeah it's a good idea to brace it somehow even for a 6.5 swap, mine flexes and the header hits the crossbar under the seat under acceleration. For that kind of HP you'll need to address the issue I would think!:thumbsup:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
No bracing is needed for 15hp.
Many people when I went up north to Hardford had modified gx200's and bigger in them.

I use to even have a DB with about 25hp in it, no bracing needed. No chain popping, no frame cracking, no flex.