16 horsepower from 6.5 clone

How would you do it? How reliable would it be? At what rpm would the modified engine make that hp? I have built a clone with all the goodies-- 24mm Mikuni carb, header, billet rod, 14cc head (pocket ported), billet flywheel, flat top piston, SS valves, 1.3:1 rockers (stock cam), 18lb springs (shimmed), chrome moly push rods, side cover bolt kit, head bolt kit and a .010 head gasket. Is this set up close to 16 hp?

I am looking to use one of these engines in another application, a mini airboat, and am looking to get 16 hp at 5000rpm or less. Is this a do-able project? I would be willing to do build another one like above if it fits the bill. The reason for not just buying one of those 16 hp engines is the weight factor, it would sure be cheaper. They weigh 83 lbs as opposed to 38 for the 6.5. Anyway, your thoughts please.

How would you do it? How reliable would it be? At what rpm would the modified engine make that hp? I have built a clone with all the goodies-- 24mm Mikuni carb, header, billet rod, 14cc head (pocket ported), billet flywheel, flat top piston, SS valves, 1.3:1 rockers (stock cam), 18lb springs (shimmed), chrome moly push rods, side cover bolt kit, head bolt kit and a .010 head gasket. Is this set up close to 16 hp?

I am looking to use one of these engines in another application, a mini airboat, and am looking to get 16 hp at 5000rpm or less. Is this a do-able project? I would be willing to do build another one like above if it fits the bill. The reason for not just buying one of those 16 hp engines is the weight factor, it would sure be cheaper. They weigh 83 lbs as opposed to 38 for the 6.5. Anyway, your thoughts please.
Sounds good . Higher rpm tho maybe 7's . Get a bigger cam and 26 lbs springs too . don't go to big with the cam.

16 at 5000 can't be done.

Think smaller like maybe 12 and try and build a stronger engine later.

You can always build another riskier engine later ( keep the firts as a back up ) but if you have only one now it had better be a solid reliable build.

Thanks for the quick responses guys! I wasn't sure if it was possible at such a low rpm with this engine. I knew this was the place to find out though.

"coil bind with 18lb and 1.3 rockers"

Not sure how to address this. I carefully checked the rotation of the engine before cranking it and there is no coil binding. It runs like a top and has propelled my MB200 to 50 mph before I ran out of road. Am I missing something?:shrug:

Thanks again guys, guess I'll go with the bigger engine and redesign the hull.

Thanks for the heads up. I will check that particular measurement on my next days off. Don't want any trouble. Gotta tear it down anyway to put the "new" flat top piston in it anyway.