18 kohler command project

nlazoff

i have a 18 horse kohler. now i just have to start building around it. its only 3600 rpms so it shouldnt be super fast. any ideas?

Oldsalt

i have a 18 horse kohler. now i just have to start building around it. its only 3600 rpms so it shouldnt be super fast. any ideas?
After looking at your Military I have no doubt you can do it. As you put it "building around it" is what has to be done. May I offer some advice? Well I'm gonna. If the frame is designed so that the engine can be installed from the side, as is common motorcycle/mini bike practice, the frame has to be really tall. To remady this I once used a frame that bolted together at the steering head so that there were right and left hand frame sides and the steering head had a tab. There were a couple of bolt together crossmembers but that solved the tall frame problem by allowing the engine heads to protrude above the top frame rails. There is also the problem with a fuel tank. I mounted the tank on the bars so that there would be enough heigth above the carb. However, as your engine is electric start and you'll most likely have a battery on board an electric fuel pump and a thin tank under the engine is an option. Enough unaskedfore advice....be sure to post pictures.

Havent logged in a while. Just saw this post. Yes that is my bike. Thanks for the comments. "only 3600 rpm" you say?! I have my governor set on 3000 to keep from killing myself! The power of these engines in amazing/scary.

I originally wanted a "small mini" with this engine, but as you can see, it was easy to get carried away and build slightly larger.

Let us know what you end up doing.

My setup uses Harley Davidson sprockets. The jackshaft is 32 teeth and the rear wheel is 70 teeth. Add to that a published 3.49:1 low ratio of the Comet snowmobile TAV and the 25" tall rear tire, the gearing is pretty good. Still doesn't have the get up and go due to the weight of the bike and tall gearing. The belt slips a little more than I'd like, even after increasing puck mass. For what it is I'm happy with it.

Hope this helps.

delray

kohler chopper,where is the video of you riding it? i could not find it on you tube. i didn't look to hard,so it may have been there?
video of you riding it had the best sound and looks:thumbsup:
:scooter:...........................................

Unfortunately, I took it down off youtube and my website. The test video was made on a Sunday at our local DOT maintenance yard because my father works there. Well some other employee from another maintenance yard thought we used state DOT materials and labor to build my bike. He caused a ruckus and before anything could happen, I took down the video so nobody would get in trouble. It's ashame that one guy had to ruin it. What sucks even more is I took the bike back home to my parent's house and it is partially taken apart in storage, so making another action video will not happen for at least another 1.5 years.

If I can figure out a way to extract just the audio I will put that on youtube with just a splash screen.

65ShelbyClone

18hp doesn't sound like a lot, but they make a lot of torque at the lower rpm. With proper gearing I would expect that engine to push a smallish motorcycle to highway speed without much trouble.

As far as building a bike around it, that's what you'll have to do.