1968 Bullitt Mustang

I got a similar article from Hagerty today Charles. It was a great read, apparently McQueen tried to buy the car, but the owner wouldn't sell it to him. :laugh:

Greatest chase seen ever! People from San Francisco can tell the chase goes from one Neighborhood to another one across town in one Turn. My drivers ed. Teacher took us on Radio Road on San Bruno mountain in 73’ because there are very few cars using it. That is South East of San Francisco. Yes we had to go the Speed Limit!

Funny the Bullitt Mustang has shown up in a couple of places. This one, and one found in a salvage yard in Mexico of all places.

Problem, as there were more than one Mustangs used in the movie. You had the hero car and the stand ins.
If you pay attention to the latest one, comparing it to the movie, it has the wrong driver's mirror, and the rocker/quarter trim and such are not painted. Thinking it was one of the stand in cars, and not the hero version.

Funny the Bullitt Mustang has shown up in a couple of places. This one, and one found in a salvage yard in Mexico of all places.

Problem, as there were more than one Mustangs used in the movie. You had the hero car and the stand ins.
If you pay attention to the latest one, comparing it to the movie, it has the wrong driver's mirror, and the rocker/quarter trim and such are not painted. Thinking it was one of the stand in cars, and not the hero version.
There were only 2 Mustangs used in filming the movie; that has been confirmed. The one found in the Mexican junkyard was the stunt car and there wasn't much left of it when "discovered"; just a rough white shell. That was confirmed last year. Considering the proximity of Mexico to California, I don't find it odd that the car got there. The one in the news, now, was/is the "hero" car. The ownership history is known; the consecutive VINs of both cars have been confirmed; I don't think there's any reason to doubt this is the real deal. There are a few non-original parts on the car; that's to be expected; the car is 50 years old and has 65,000 miles on it; it was a daily driver. The mirror that the car had on it in the movie (not an original Ford part) is all but impossible to find, according to an article I read about a Bullitt replica (builder couldn't find one; used something similar). The mirror was probably replaced. As for the rocker trim, I'm guessing the paint started peeling off of the anodized trim and someone removed the rest, or replaced the trim; they probably didn't spend much time on paint prep on a movie car. Also, it has been stated that some parts were stolen, so that would account for some of the changes. It hasn't been sitting in a museum for 50 years. Experts have examined the car and the documentation; they are convinced, so am I.

Stunt car as found in junkyard
1791013_1280x720.jpg

One of the four best car chase movies of my time ever made. The era of Muscle Cars that the average Joe could buy off of a dealers lot.
It's nice to see it was kept mostly intact.
Bullitt
The French connection
Ronin
Vanishing Point

f4radar

Thanks for posting I enjoyed the article and pictures. It was particularly interesting because as it turns out this car is nearly identical to mine and came off the same assembly line 9 days later. Here's a couple pictures of my 68 it's a 390gt 4spd with deluxe interior like bullet only its blue. I found it in Atwater Ca in 1988.

Attachments