1969 Lomart Cheeftah. Vintage or Harbor Freight Engine?

So, after some time, I have been wanting to get back to my 1969 Cheeftah Project.

I have been having to put it aside due to other things popping up. Well, I had my 3 Hp Tecumseh ready to put on there, but one problem. Recently, I was robbed, and they stole my Engine, and every side-shaft engine I Had! Surprisingly, the Mini Bike was left Alone. So, now, I have a mini Bike, and No engines.

Well, since Im back to square one on engines, I was wondering. Im deciding between another old motor, or a Harbor freight predator.

I know the Predator is a good motor, and cheap, but I don't like the look of it on vintage bikes, plus, like the 5hp Briggs about 15 years ago, everyone has one.

As for a vintage engine, it seems the few I find are either expensive, or so beat up and worn out, they would need a major overhaul. But I like the look of the old motors, and I wanted a vintage look to it, even if it is being fitted with 25x12x9 Honda Big Red wheels.

So, Should I try to hold out for a good, yet reasonable vintage engine, or should I just bite the bullet, and go to Harbor freight?

chrisr

HF engines are pretty reasonable, so are the Lifan from Home Depot online - currently on sale. You can also find cheap horizontal engines on old snow blowers, tillers and rototillers on CL.

1971_MB1A

I have a very nice original survivor that's the twin to that one. I looked at that bike less than a year ago at his place before he switched out the original engine when I was buying some vintage car parts from him.

chrisr

As a couple more suggestion. On CL, Let it Go or even Facebook, you can find some older engines. You can pick up some good older engines on edgers and reel type mowers sometimes very reasonably.

So, after some time, I have been wanting to get back to my 1969 Cheeftah Project.

I have been having to put it aside due to other things popping up. Well, I had my 3 Hp Tecumseh ready to put on there, but one problem. Recently, I was robbed, and they stole my Engine, and every side-shaft engine I Had! Surprisingly, the Mini Bike was left Alone. So, now, I have a mini Bike, and No engines.

Well, since Im back to square one on engines, I was wondering. Im deciding between another old motor, or a Harbor freight predator.

I know the Predator is a good motor, and cheap, but I don't like the look of it on vintage bikes, plus, like the 5hp Briggs about 15 years ago, everyone has one.

As for a vintage engine, it seems the few I find are either expensive, or so beat up and worn out, they would need a major overhaul. But I like the look of the old motors, and I wanted a vintage look to it, even if it is being fitted with 25x12x9 Honda Big Red wheels.

So, Should I try to hold out for a good, yet reasonable vintage engine, or should I just bite the bullet, and go to Harbor freight?
Aw man don't put a harbor freight engine on that classic! Those old Tecumseh's are easy to find. Snowblowers are the best way. I've got a poop ton of em what do you need?